Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name your favorite Standard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 28, 2002.

1. here's my list...these are my most favorite BTW

The Chicken
    Giant Steps
    Oleo
    All Blues
    So What!
    Birdland

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Probably the song I love to play more than any other, right now at least, is Well You Needn't, Thelonious Monk.

I'm in a huge Monk phase right now. So I could have just as easily said I Mean You or a number of others.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I heard a Jazz Quintet play Freddie Hubbard's "Sky Dive" at my local Jazz club and I really like this as a sequence to play over - I've got chord charts for all instruments and carry these around with me, but have still not managed to get a group to play it - apart from a jam where everybody complained that it was too long and complicated - but I'd love to play it at a a gig!

4. DITTO!
    I do love those Monk tunes, especially In Walked Bud. I've also been way into Bud Powell lately. Some Powell faves: Buster Rides Again, Tempus Fugit, Bouncing With Bud, etc.

I second rafterman's mention of Oleo - a damn swingin' tune!

Random faves: Four, Jordu, What is This Thing Called Love, Night & Day (I'm a sucker for Cole Porter), Black Orpheus, Seven Steps to Heaven... I could go on and on....

I'm especially pumped because I had my first rehearsal last night with a great piano trio. They're currently playing some fun and challenging stuff and is excited to tackle some of the tunes I just mentioned! It will be a fun and rewarding challenge for me!

5. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I like "Summertime"

"Stella By Starlight"
    "Cherokee"
    and "Red Clay"

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Danny Adair, I am another big Cole Porter aficionda. "I've Got You Under my Skin" and "Black Magic" are too favorites.

Maybe my all time favorite standard is "Poinciena" as played by Ahmad Jamal. (I don't know who composed the original "Poinciena." Was it Ellington? Just a wild guess.

There are too many standards I always am pleased to hear to mention. Much of George Gershwin's work, plus songs like "September Song", "Autumn Leaves", "Laura", "Autumn in New York", "Moonlight in Vermont", "Moon Over Miami". I give up. The list is too long.

7. I'm a really big fan of "Under my Skin," too.
    I'm not sure about the composer, but I know that Keith Jarrett's Whisper Not has a smokin' version of that tune, and a lot of the others listed here. One hell of a great album, IMHO.
    I'm a big fan of Gershwin's work, and I've recently become a big devotee of "Moonlight in Vermont." That's just one hell of a beautiful tune, with or without vocals.

Another very worthwhile entry (IMHO) - "Stardust." I have a great version off of Rob Wasserman's Duets disc with Aaron Neville. Speaking of that disc, there's a great version of "Angel Eyes" with Cheryl Benthene (sic?).

This is why I've been focusing so much on jazz - just so many great tunes and so many fun challenges!

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    birdland has class:D I love that song.

Travis

9. Take Five
    Autumn Leaves
    Blue Bossa

10. Straight, No Chaser
    So What
    All Blues
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Donna Lee
    My Favorite Things
    Giant Steps
    Blue Train

11. Boplicity

Frank Sinatra sang many, if not most, of the great standards. I realize many younger folks may not find Sinatra very "cool', but just a check of the contents his albums would give a comprehensive list of lasting and highly regarded standards. Tony Bennett would also fit that category.

Another artist who has performed numerous standards is Al Jareau. I don't like evrything he does. Sometimes it seems like he is arpeggiating every half measure of a song, but I LOVE his rendition of the standard "Teach Me Tonight." His version of that is THE BEST I have ever heard.

Oh, another way I judge an artist is by their appraoch to Gershwin's "Summertime." If they can move me with that amazing song, then I am impressed.

12. Very good points. Here's two more (hopefully good :)) points:

(1) the man could put on a show. He and his buds (the Rat Pack) could put on loose (in a good, easy-going way), intense, entertaining and swinging shows! Sadly, a lot of musicians (especially jazzers IMHO) can play their butts off, but when it comes to entertaining an audience and holding their attention, they fall way short. Even if the material in my loungy (is that a word?), Sinatra-like band isn't always the most breathtakingly complex or cerebral music, I almost always really enjoy our shows because of how entertaining we can be for the audience.

(2) his bassist(s) could swing! If you listen to much of his work, you'll hear guys that can lay down the a mean two feel, a great lazy swing, and burn along with a smokin' band. I guess the implicit threat of :gangster hit man voice on: sleepin' with the fishes :gangster hit man voice off: was enough motivation! :D

13. i've been listening to sinatra and jarreau since birth...i'm only 17 though...

14. Boplicity

Relman, you have excellent taste!!

15. Boplicity

(2) his bassist(s) could swing! If you listen to much of his work, you'll hear guys that can lay down the a mean two feel, a great lazy swing, and burn along with a smokin' band. I guess the implicit threat of :gangster hit man voice on: sleepin' with the fishes :gangster hit man voice off: was enough motivation! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

You are so right. When I've seen Jareau live, his musicians fascinate me. The man knows how to pick wonderful musicians to back him up. I was just thinking...it might be kind of hard to play for him. He improvises alot and they'd have to be able to "hold down the fort" while he takes vocal excursions. He seemslike a very nice person,though. I don't catch any arrogance. He seems to genuinely love what he is doing.