Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

names of these triads?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by No Profile, Jan 31, 2006.

1. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    I was just messing around with some simple triads and was changing them about, I come up with some but i dont know what the correct names for them would be, any help would be great

1 3 5 - Major
    1 b3 5 - Minor
    1 b3 b3 - Diminished
    1 3 b5 - ??
    1 #3 5 - ??
    1 #3 #5 - ??
    1 3 #5 - Augmented
    1 b3 #5 - ??
    1 #3 b5 - ??

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Best guesses...

1 3 b5 - major, b5
    1 #3 5 - = 1 4 5 - sus4
    1 #3 #5 - sus4 #5
    1 b3 #5 - minor, #5
    1 #3 b5 - sus4 b5

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    1 3 b5 - major b5
    1 #3 5 - sus4
    1 #3 #5 - sus4 augmented
    1 b3 #5 - augmented b3
    1 #3 b5 - sus4 diminished

4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well. The 1, b3, #5 chord is probably best thought of as not a variation of the tonic chord but rather a chord built on the flated sixth scale step. So.. in the key of C, not C, Eb, G#, but C, Eb, Ab. (this example would be in the first inversion).

A musical example. I don't recall the keys but..... on the St. Pepper recording, after the opening tune there is a transition into "Get By With A Little Help..." and the lads sing: "Bil-ly Shears----" The chord they sing on "Bil-" is a chord built on the flated sixth step. (the chord on "-ly" is built on the flated seventh and "Shears" is tonic of the key of "Get By....")

Rock on....

5. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    thanks for your help guys, i forgot about suspended chords. ok i been working on some more, i figutred the first 3 out, but im lost on the others.

1 2 5 - sus2
    1 2 b5 - sus2dim
    1 2 #5 sus2aug

1 b2 5 - ??
    1 b2 b5 - ??
    1 b2 #5 - ??

6. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The b2 is a bit of a problem for me. I think of these as b9. Can I assume that the use of the b2 is to show that there is no 7th in the chord? If so, that would make some sense to use the b2 notation... I suppose. Do you want to hear a third in these chords?

Frankly, I would question why you are trying to think of these notes as chords in the tradition sense that you would want to use chord symbols. I would be suspitious that a chord symbol like C b2#5 would be misunderstood. Why not just write them out as notes.

Chord symbols, like Tab and Figured Bass are short hand ways to express some complex musical ideas. As such, they have a limitation... and, in the extreme case can be misunderstood.

Like Napoleon said, "What is history, but a fable agreed upon". Same is true for chord symbols, if we don't all know what is being described, the system will fail us.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    1 3 5 - Major
    1 b3 5 - Minor
    1 b3 b5 Diminished
    1 3 b5 - Better to call this a major chord with tension #11
    1 4 5 - Sus4
    1 4 b6 - Sus4 b13 (which is an avoid note)
    1 3 #5 - Augmented
    1 b3 b6 - Minor b13
    1 4 b5 - Really ugly . . . I wouldn't use that.

8. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    not really, ive just replaced the third with a b2, just to see what it sounds like. i havnt got to 7ths yet.

well to be honest im new to the whole theory thing and as i said im just playing around with triads, im tryin to find out the correct names for chords like c b2 #5 so it is less confusing, if u know what i mean.

9. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    one question, why do u change for example sus4 b5 to sus4 b13?

also i found a good use for that last chord, sounds just right in a black metal song i was working on

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It would be the #5 he's changed to b6 and then to b13 (which is an octave + a b6).

How I understand it...

In extended chords you can sometimes leave out notes as they are implied by others. The fifth is one of these, it's implied by the root, as the harmonic series contains the 12th (octave + 5th), so while the ear doesn't really hear a fifth, the brain does.

If this was a chord you'd call it sus4 add b13 to indicate the lack of a 7th and 9th (the 11th is irrelevant because of the sus4).

11. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    thanks dlloyd that makes a lot more sense to me