1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Naming a band is frustrating

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Mar 13, 2008.

1. We've been trying to come up with a band name for my Top 40's rock cover band, one that is short, sharp, sweet, and NOT TAKEN!!!!

From over 80 suggestions (most of them mine), we've whittled it down to, oh none!

The guitarist constantly wants to use names that are in use in other countries. I say I don't want to risk the hassle down the line and he replies "I'd like us to get big enough to have those kinds of hassles" and keeps saying he likes them.

The drummer keeps suggesting the same name repeatedly, regardless of the fact others don't like it or how times we ask him what he likes.

[sarcasm]I never knew this part of building a band would be so much fun[/sarcasm]

Rant over, back to reading lists of lists of things :)

2. call it stereoiron

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Booster.

4. hey bro,

first of all... don't call it PROOF - cause there's another coverband in perth with that name ;)

second.. i actually don't see a problem with calling it the same name as somebody is using overseas - as long as nobody knows who they are over here. if it's a cover band you're quite simply never going to get "big" enough for it to be a problem IMO.

thirdly.. let me know when you get gigging and i'll come check ya out.

all the best,
    Andy.

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Sounds familiar. Finding a good, catchy and unique, name that is easy to remember is one of the hardest things to do after finding rehearsal dates that fit everyone in the band... :ninja:

I know a good rock cover band here named "Trr Trr Trr" that is fairly popular. The name means absolutely noting, but it's quite easy to remember. Perhaps you could try something similarly stupid? :)

6. Call yourselves 'Brilliant Band'!

'So, who did you see last night?'

'Brilliant Band!!'

:)

7. Its tough, no question about that. We found our name after a promotional picture was taken. We took it outside of our singers house on the corner in front of a street sign. When we looked at the picture we realized what to call ourselves. Before that we wasted a lot of time.

8. It's easy to find a band name. Ask me or Bard.

I say "Pink Unicorn Horsey."

Someone is going to use it. Someday.

9. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    from the strings section:

The Polymer Matrix.

10. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I've always been partial to "Captain Pickle Pants and the Hot Sauce Orchestra"
    :atoz:

11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    How about:

Low Fat Cake

Easy Street Gang

Bad Debt

Going Down Under

12. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    "Sticky Flesh Guns"

/thread.

13. Just think of something memorable and stick with it. I was on the road last year and stopped in at a little local bar. The headliner band was "The Turds" and they put on a great show and everyone loved them. I had my doubts at first, but had to stick around to check them out...You know, with a name like that.

Good luck though, I've been there a few times. Looking back, some of them were just plain lame.

14. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    We went through a couple hundred names before we found ours.... and actually the drummer was the only one that didn't like it... no more drummer and viola! Band name!

It's hard :) and frustrating :( yep.

We had a couple brainstorming sessions......it'll come to you.

I do agree with the not using one someone else already is knowingly. Find your own....... and keep in mind, would you want to see it on a sign? On someone's shirt? Could you tell it to your grandmother? :)

15. Thanks guys.

We're a rock n roll cover band so there is a world of great songs to choose from! ;)

16. hey mate i just sent you a pm re: agents. hope it helps :)

andy
    ps. the band website is www.prooftheband.com.. that info is rather old on that site!

17. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    I just used the band name generator and now I give you your new band name.......

Deer Of The Clandestine Mood

So rock.

18. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Yeah we tried to name our band for over a year.

End result.. Epic Legend.

:rolleyes::D