Naming and ordering of multi-effect patches

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveCS, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Generic - named after the sound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Generic - named after the effects

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Specific - named after the song/tune - no particular order

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Specific - named after the song/tune - set-list order

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bit of each

100.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Inspired by a thread on setting knobs on pedals, I got to thinking about how folks out there name and organise patches on their multi-effect devices. I'm thinking about devices like the Zoom B3 and MultiStomps, and rack-based units with named patches.
    For example, do you name your patches after the type of sound (e.g. 'clean', 'sparkle', 'grunge'), do you name them after effects in the patch (e.g. 'Co-Ch-Rev', 'SVT+PHAS') or do you name them specifically for the song you will use it on? Do you have a patch (or group of patches) per song or do you stick to a group of patches that you use on everything? Do you reserve a bank/group of patches to align with your set list (keeping the originals in another bank/group), or do you just step through to find the one you need at any particular time?
    As an example, I use an old Alesis Quadraverb, which has a footswitch input allowing me to cycle through a pre-set range of patches. Within this range I have some 'generic' patches and a handful of patches named after the tune which I use them on - normally these have 'special' settings like matched tempo multi-tap delays or particularly heavy reverbs or radical EQ settings. Outside of this range I keep copies of the generics to use when working on new material. I can tweak these to better suit the music without messing up the 'live' version then, if necessary, save as a 'named' patch within range of the footswitch.
    So - who does what?

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Yeah, I've just come back to some of the "older" presets on my Switchblad 8F (older being more than 2 weeks) and realized that although I felt extremely clever when I was making up those names, I now have no idea what they mean.

My current thinking is to just give up, name the presets after my favorite, but entirely unrelated carrots, and just keep a more detailed list somewhere.

SteveCS likes this.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Bit of each for me: I have my single fx patches (chorus, octave, phaser..) and my multi fx patches made up for specific songs (Sex on Fire: chorus, EQ & delay).

ProfFrink likes this.
  4. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    My setup is a little different as the only physical pedal I have is a Ditto Looper and all my effects are run using JamUp Pro on my iPhone. I do however, put all my effects in order for the songs I use them with. For example:
    image.png
    So Bank 1 presets 1A,1B,1C,1D would be used in one song in this order.
    image_1.png
    Bank 1 presets 2A,2B,2C,2D would be used in another song.

Since I'm laying down loops I have time to quickly switch between presets before laying the next line.

I'd like to get a Bluetooth pedalboard for switching, but I've been lazy picking one up.

ProfFrink and SteveCS like this.
  5. I have some MFX boxes, an older Zoomie, an M5, but they're all limited in what they can do. IF I had a more elaborate MFX setup, I'd use whatever label/name felt right in the given situation.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021