Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

naming basses bassed on pick ups..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 15, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ok.. to the best of m y understanding..

when a bass has Persission style pick ups its called a "p-bass"
    when a bass has Jazz stly pick ups its called a "J-bass"
    what do you call a bass that has humbuckers? and H-bass? or does it depend on something else?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

plenty of info to be had from a search.

Grossly oversimplified but in a nutshell I do classify them that way because I'm into pups not necks, etc. There is no name for dual HB's becuase there was no popular standard dual HB bass that established precidence along the lines of the MM (ray), J, and P basses. Dual HB's were well established in guitars (LP's) before they were adapted to bass but MM's and P's are uniquely bass in origin and to a lessor degree, so are J's.

I'll add, the reason I came to this perspective is that the shape of a pup is just a reflection of it's dimentions and not the internal design. A J can be a single or humbucker (and otherwise) but it's still a J bass to me cause if you replace the pup, it will take a J-shaped pup - or a router.

One of the reasons I split all those Dimento experiments according to pup shape is because a soap with an incredible tone is useless to a guy with J style pups so he's looking at J's for his purposes not soaps.

3. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I think you're looking at it backwards. It's not a J-bass because it has J-style pickups...they're J-style pickups because they were popularized by the J-bass. Same with P-basses and Stingrays/MMs. A lot of basses that have J-style pickups are not considered Jazz style basses (Warwicks some to mind).

4. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    interesting.. ill have to do some research on the matter..

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most of it is in the shape of the body, than the neck profile or the pickup configuration.