1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

naming your bass

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Scwwitt, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Scwwitt

Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I have always found it entertaining to hear the different names that people give there bass. I have been laughed at for naming my basses. but the way I look at it. My bass travels with me, I live with it, and I talk and express through it. it deserves a name. here are my basses names

Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling- well to start my middle name is sterling and the model name is sterling, so just named it sterling mainly because now its MY name on the bass.

Carvin LB75F- Lucile- Lucile is such a name that is smooth and rolls off the tounge. The Fretless sound is smooth rolls out to be so beautiful. (if you are interested in purchasing Lucile please contact me. Sadly i am needing to let it go)

Warrior "Traa Daniels signature 5" - (un-named) band new bass still in the naming process.

What are the names of all of your bass and the stories behind them. or am I alone.

2. Sir, the bass's name is Charlene, sir.

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Scwwitt, "You're never alone with a schizophrenic."

My Barkers are "Peanut" (or "Mr. Peanut" if it's a formal gig) and Ol' 44.

Peanut for the shape, Ol' 44 because that's the serial number and I like the ...locomotive sound of it. later, ron

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    My Jazz is "Felix."

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    My Yamaha TRB1006 is named Lester. I named it after Lester Young. I was listening to him in the car on the way to pick up my bass from the store.

Joe

6. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    My Parker bass already had a name (sure Lee can explain the whole story):

"The Pink Lady".
    I sometimes call her "#2" which I guess does not help much either to avoid hurting my wife┬┤s feelings (ha ha)

:)

7. My Fender P-bass is named
    The Red Baron. On account that it's a wine-red and my fingers fly over it.

8. All of my basses are named Caroline.

9. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I never was keen to naming an instrument but I decided to use a label that speaks to me for my new 5 string Jazz

Commie.

short for

Companion Animal

10. My father will attest to the fact that I've always been a "namer." As a child I named everything - from the obvious stuffed animals, to trees, family cars, my particular favorite pair of shoes (the "Zip Spice Runners." Don't ask...), and God knows what else.

That being said, it would of course be natural that I would name my guitars. I have a lot - I'm running out of names. I named my first BB "Abraham," for no particular reason. Maybe it was an impulsive hunch - I don't know. He's fretless and has taken on the nickname of "Slick," for the finish on his tapewound strings.

My fretted Barker was recently christened "Carl" as a tribute to Bill Murray's Assistant Groundskeeper character from Caddyshack. I have no idea why I did that either, as my bass is significantly tidier and less prone to tourrette's-like outbursts than his namesake.

I also have a prototype Barker model that didn't quite make the cut. His name is Brick. That's another story for another day.