Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

namm 2003 - report #1 (spalt/lightwave/ROLAND!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 20, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    looks like the spalt lightwave with the roland interface was a HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Barrett (vbass expert with Roland) was in hog heaven with the Spalt 6 fretless Roland used at the show.

he said the Lightwave/roland interface was the best of the mag and the piezo COMBINED!

welcome to the FUTURE!

:)

f

2. so is this now/going to be a generally available product.

a very curious Zon/V-bass user.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i looked all over for Michael Barret- i still have my dilemma with installing the piezo bridge to drine the v bass ( and upcoming Roland pitch to midi converter) but i dont want to use the rmc preamp for sound- i need to resolve this asap!!-

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did you go to the Lightwave booth? I know that they're coming out with their own line of basses.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i did- they look real nice- i always thought , as many others, that lightwave really shines on fretless- they had several maple fretless boards, which i found interesting- they had no lined fretlesses,, so there goes me!! im a wimp! i also wouldve like to have seent he exotic tops- but they had none- but they are on the right track- Lightwave for the masses!!

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm not sure what you need to resolve.

currently there are 3 choices for V-Bass driving:

1. mag (GK2B)
    2. piezo
    3. lightwave

from the conversations i had at NAMM, the piezo was the least desirable of the lot.

the lightwave being #1.

i have Michael Barrets phone and e-mail.

PM me if you need to get a hold of him.

f

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the F bass i have coming is gogeous- matching pups and all- i dont want to put a black pickup on there- i want to use the bridge piezo ( sorry this wont be lightwave bass) to drive the 13 pin V bass thing... but i am told i have to use the rmc preamp- i want George preamp not the rmc- tahts my problem- how to do taht- between George F , Roland and everyone else- i still dont have a solution-- i will contact Michael again to see if i can resolve

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this may be a "FRANKEN-FIX" but, couldn't you use both pre's?

one to drive the 13 pin, and one for the mags?

quite the control cavity it would be, eh? but, still less populated than a lightwave cavity.

no need to apologize to me!

;)

f

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Michael Barret told me initially that i might need to preamp the piezo's- i hate to have all those pres on the bass- i put in a call to him, so we'll see if we can fix this once and for all-- i hope---