1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Namm 2017 Cab sims.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Looks like there's a bunch of new cab sim pedals hitting the market this year. I've already noticed tech 21, digitech, and Neunaber all have cab sim pedals coming out. The digitech one seems to have extra love for bass players having 7 different bass cab sims and the ability to run a bass cab and guitar cab sim simultaneously which I assume will Work great for all the guys and gals who use the royal blood type of setup. I'm pretty excited because I've been considering this type of pedal since I started working on solo stuff which I don't use my amp on.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Digitech DryVR doesn't have an XLR out
    Neunbauer Iconoclast doesn't have an XLR out
    Zoom B3 replacement doesnt have an XLR out

Pretty soon DI's aren't going to have an XLR out. I dont understand why people don't put XLR's where they're logically needed. Thankfully people like @Dsmnoisemaker are smart enough with their cab sims to do so.

3. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Most of these offer cab presets which you're stuck with, but that Neunaber unit looks cool.
    Have a look at the OmniCabSim, it might be what you're looking for.

chaak, Snowglo and NoxNoctus like this.
  4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The more I've thought about this XLR dilemma, one way around the problem is if you're already using a preamp (pedal) that has an FX loop, and you can select the location of that loop to be POST preamp processing (if it isn't already the case). Something like the GK PLEX or Radial Bassbone comes to mind. If you're one of those lucky enough to have a preamp pedal that allows for this type of insert, then adding a quality IR/Cab sim pedal with no XLR isn't a big deal since your preamp pedal would be providing that.

5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Thats why I love my m81. It doesn't use much room, I get to add the mid freq I need to cut through, and any always on grit/character pedals go right before it.

6. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    The new tech 21 q strip has xlr and looks like it can pull can do cab sim related duties. One more to concider.

DirtyDuke and Bassmunnky like this.
  7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Cab sims seem to have come a long way. Even a few years ago a lot of cab/ amp modeling seemed generally frowned upon compared to the real deal.

But now there are more and more nicer modeling amps and pedals coming out that seem pretty useful. I love the future!

Nephilymbass, CharlieC and jimfist like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have plenty of DI's already. Don't get why people want DI's in every new pedal that comes out.

9. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Typically when you have something that would traditionally go last like a preamp or a cabinet simulator, that's the "final" signal you'd think you'd want to send to record or FOH or wherever. I don't see it as much of a stretch of the imagination.

Sartori and Snowglo like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fair enough, I suppose, but I'd rather not have something that makes a pedal larger or adds more money to the price of it if I'm not going to use it.

Nephilymbass, CharlieC and NoxNoctus like this.
  11. I can say this, I have a pretty expensive darkglass b7k ultra that I never use the xlr out on. Because with my band I run everything to my rack and xlr out of my sans amp RBI. And for solo noodling I run stereo effects after the b7k (which is mono)

12. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    Seeing that everybody is releasing cabsims, i really wanted to have a couple of omnis at the namm.. I'm still a really Small business so i couldnt afford to go there.. My friends at darkglass wanted to help me and took a couple of units, but they were stolen at the airport.. It is so hard to start a business..

Nunovsky likes this.
  13. I feel for you Dan.

I'm an elementary teacher- and therefore operate in an environment of predictability and systemic protection.

I have such huge respect for anyone starting their own business, putting themselves out there and bloody just giving it a go.

On another note, your product is amazing, and none of the other cab sim products offer what yours does.

14. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Then there is this... Broughton's Dirt Slayer DI (HPF/LPF/Gain/XLR-out) is currently "in production" :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  15. Dsmnoisemaker

Dsmnoisemaker Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Santiago, Chile
    Owner of DSMNOISEMAKER pedals
    Thanks for your support Dan. The last three months has been a nightmare, after a very good mid-year, I thought the omni was going straight to be the standard for cabinet simulation but customs strike, and many issues with shipping on Christmas time killed the momentum. And this year I see many companies doing exacly what I started because it is a great idea and a wonderful tool. I hope at least this "attention" to cabsims will help me a bit, because I'm pretty sure my product is better in many ways, but I don't have the MKT and distribution resources that big companies have. So I have to rely on word of mouth..

16. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    You can do a few things to improve your online presence - lend a couple of units to other known youtubers, launching a sweepstakes with a win for a pedal, etc... That's what I use to do in my previous company and managed to grow the online presence with pretty much a $10 budget ;) There's always room to improve man. Cheers

17. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah it absolutely sucks but it's part of the game. I honestly never would've heard about DSMnoisemaker if it weren't for a post Doug-glass put on this forum about how amazing the OCS is.