1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAMM 2017: new Traynor SB106

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by callmejs, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    That's unusual: Mini practice combo hosting a 200w amp (!) and offering 1/4" speaker out for an external cab (!!).

SB106_PR.
    From description:

At an unbelievable 9 by 12-inches and weighing in under 15 lbs, the 200-watt Traynor SB106 combo uses a studio monitor quality 6.5-inch speaker in its solid plywood and metal cabinet to deliver unmatched tone for close monitoring on controlled stages. Fully featured for professional bass players needing a small, lightweight but powerful amplifier solution, the SB106 offers both Passive and Active ¼-inch Instrument Inputs, selectable Pre or Post EQ XLR DI Output for direct connect to front-of-house mixer and an additional ¼-inch Speaker Output to drive an additional extension cabinet when necessary (4-ohm minimum).

Built with the practicing musician in mind, the Traynor SB106’s rear mounted ¼-inch headphone jack defeats the internal speaker for private rehearsal. An 1/8th-inch TRS Auxiliary In jack also on the rear of the amp allows direct connection to any music source making the SB106 your ideal practice companion.
    | NAMM.org

(Edited: image and description added)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    selowitch, lomo, Bassometer and 3 others like this.
  2. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    According to Traynor Amps support, ETA in store end of Feb 2017

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    And, again, it sucks they are not sold here in Sweden. (At least I find no representstion for this country.)
    The same goes for Carvin...

TheRealKong likes this.
  4. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I've been using the head from this combo, an SB200H, for several months now as a practice amp and it's a wonderful amp. Can't say enough good about it and hope the new cab does it justice. Ken

BTW, for someone wanting to use the SB200H head independently and keeping it safe the Gator Cases "G-Mixerbag 0909" fits it perfectly: http://www.gatorcases.com/p/210122-2270/g-mixerbag-0909

callmejs likes this.
  5. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    They do have distribution in the EU, France, CR and Italy. I'm in New York (Upstate) and there are no stocking dealers near me either. Traynor Amps

callmejs likes this.
  6. I'll be moving in the not-so-distant future and I have a keyboard which I've had in its case for most of time I've been at our house. This amp may become my keyboard amp (I was going with the small Ampeg). Pricing will likely win this battle.

callmejs likes this.
  7. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    That looks like their SB200H amp inside.

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I like it! I can see this being useful on wedding gigs. Should be enough for the cocktail hour and then plunk it on top of a larger cab for the reception.Knowing Traynor it should be resonably priced too. My only wishes would be 1/4 aux in instead of 1/8 and speaker bypass so it would be possible to get the full 200 watts to another cab.

9. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    edit: didn't see hifibass's post before my posting this. I wish they had of made it so the head could slide out and unplug from the 6.5" speaker.

10. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    "That's unusual: Mini practice combo hosting a 200w amp (!) and offering 1/4" speaker out for an external cab (!!)."

Interesting ... did they have anything new in the way of cabinets?

11. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Yes, looks exactly the same.

12. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    SB200H owner manual has been updated with some SB106 info. Looking at the block diagram, seems that the internal speaker is bypassed when you plug another cab, meaning you get the 200W out.

13. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Haven't seen any announcements...yet. NAMM hasn't started, they might keep some surprises for the show...

14. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    While it doesn't look like the head slides out, the speaker unplugs when you use an external cab according to the block diagram I found in the updated SB200H Owner's Manual.

basss likes this.
  15. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    That is interesting and makes it a bit more versatile.

rodl2005, yodedude2 and callmejs like this.
  16. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I would like to see an 800 watt amp (latest icepower) released and re-release of their 112 neo.

Basically Bob and callmejs like this.
  17. I always keep a 2x10 at home so having SB200H might be come in useful. But now I see this combo's likely to be more expensive the Ampeg 20-25 watt amp (the 108?) I was thinking of getting at around $120 Cdn. I'll have a wait and see attitude.

18. I like it! Now, if they'd just make a version of the Neo 115 with vintage cosmetics and grill cloth, I'd be happy.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, international shipping is expensive in Europe, even for stuff that would just go on a truck and be driven on the road.
    So "buying blind" aside, importing this will unfortunately not be a cost efficient move.

20. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I think the Ampeg vs. Traynor question is a bit "apples vs. oranges". 200 watts built by Traynor in Canada (with a two year transferable factory warranty) vs. 20 watts built by ??? in China (warranty not stated in Owners Manual, says "call us"). They're selling "remanufactured replacement speakers" for the Ampeg on eBay for $18.50...... Not confidence inspiring even for a $99 amp.

callmejs likes this.