1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAMM 2019: Ibanez debuts 19 new bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Somebody at Ibanez is watching the far-flung borders of the WWW. There's been growing interest in medium-scale. Anyone who's watched original AFR prices steadily ramp up on the used survivors would think now might be a good time for a new production run (though I really wish koa like the originals had come back). They basically run their BTB line in 4,5, and 6-string versions almost across the board.

Thank You, Ibanez. It's breathtaking to see the range of basses you offer, and admirable to watch the chances you're willing to take. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but for players not welded to the Fenders, EBMM's, and G&L's, they offer lots of alternatives.

nonohmic, wintremute and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. But then he taketh away:

So I'm thinking of buying their 5-string ABG, the AE105. It's medium scale, and for the life of me, I can NOT find replacement 5-string acoustic bronze set. Can anybody think of one?

3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Cordas para baixo acústico – Thomann Portuguesa

4. operagost

operagost

Dec 13, 2017
    Do it?

I love my SRH500F, I just wish they let you get it in the SRH500/505 finish. If they still had a custom shop, I would totally ask for that.

Anti-Matter and J_Bass like this.
  5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    DUUUUDE!! That SRMD200 looks awesome!! I can't wait to try that!!

exidor likes this.
  6. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Sr Mezzo looks awesome, but not a fan of the P/J config would have much preffered a typical Ibanez humbucker layout

7. JBass, Thank You, but the three they listed are all long-scale: I'd have to trim them down into the wound portion of the string length, which I can't do, it'll destroy the string. I'm trying to find an ABG 5-string set in medium (32") scale.

J_Bass likes this.
  8. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    But, if it’ll make you sound like Thundercat, it’ll be well worth it!!

9. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    You can be sad that you made that decision and try not to regret it later :D

Spidey2112 and J_Bass like this.
  10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    psyched to try the medium scales

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    40 mm nut on the Affirma is awesome. Don't like those skinny SR necks.

12. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Or just read the reply right under this one. ^^^

13. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I was thinking the same thing. Would love a fretless BTB, potentially a 6er.

I had a BTB405QM, incredible bass and very affordable. Whilst I do not regret selling it (it was time to part ways), I still remember it fondly.

rutrho likes this.
  14. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well,.. I wouldn't go quite that far... If I'm looking at their web site correctly, the new lefty Ibanez bass means that I now have a whole FIVE basses to choose from! :hyper:
    And while that's certainly better than no leftys at all, you'll have to agree that it's a whole lot fewer than you have to choose from. And, as usual, none of them are exactly top-of-the-line models, either. Also, no color choices - as usual...:rollno: This kind of thing is the reason why, whenever any one asks who I'd like to come back as in my next life, my answer is always "Somebody who's right handed"...:whistle:

B-Mac, J_Bass and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Look on the bright side...at least they are not as stingy with making lefties as Gretsch is!

Glass half full

I keep my eyes open for new lefty models just for you bud! :)

17. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Honestly I wish Ibanez would widened the headstock a little on there SR 6 string model basses so you don't get that annoying way the strings cross the nut and pinch inward on the headstock to the machine heads.
    Just an observation!!!!
    Look at the headstock example on this Ibanez at the Sweetwater link:

Ibanez SR5006OL - Oil

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    So is this an aesthetic complaint, or a functional complaint?

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/...c222b/images/closeup/750-SR5006OL_detail3.jpg

[​IMG]

19. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I am negativist when it comes to Ibanez.
    Never in my house. Sorry.