Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NAMM basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 24, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi kids...

just turned in my film for processing.

looks like i don't need to hurry to get pics up...plenty to be seen already.

tried lots o' basses.

a few that were noteable:

RITTER BASSES: not only art, but extremely playable. sounded great too!!! i want 2!

HANEWINCKLE: played one of his 6 string fretlesses...WOW, amazingly low action. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH...i want one.

LINC LUTHIER: smokin' and punchy...seemed to have an overdriven caste to it...SUPER easy to play...i want one of these too!!

ZON: joe and the boys have changed the finish on their necks. what was once glossy, is now satiny...TINY TINY bit of texture to the back of the neck. makes for a smoother glide of the fretting hand. small change, but TONZ of results!!!

played the range of magnetics, the STUDIO was mind blowing!!! and i didn't even notice the 35" scale.

some of the nicest playing fretted basses around.

i want 2!!!!! a fretted and a fretless bart. yes, i want a fretted. shocker.

i am really partial to the lightwave system. maybe because that's all i've played for the last 2 years...but, after trying the mags, i played the lightwave joe had there, and felt right at home...i love the sound.

side note: jammed with a jazz trio after the NAMM show with my Zon Lightwave Sonus 5 string fretless/Eden WT400/Eden 210XLT, Lexicon MPX500 multifx...EVERYONE was completely blown away by the tones i was getting.

it really is in your hands, probably more so with the LW...

i'll be posting pics on CLUBPHOTO soon.

i have to make up for that really nasty pic of me that steve barr took....that bastard!

f

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There was a used Madagascar Ebony Linc Luthier at a local store last year. That bass was scary. It had to be amongst the easiest to play basses I've ever layed hands on and to make matters worse it had, with the bridge pickup soloed, the most amazing "Jaco through an Acoustic amp" growl you could imagine. It was a four string and I spent several hours convincing myself that I didn't really need another four;)

So fred... what are you wearing?

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    BRAD!!!!!!!!!!

is it still there?!?!?!?!? now, there's a bass i'd easily add to my collection...

please, let me know. Linc had an ebony model at the show...incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, i'm wearing the stink i woke up with.

f

4. Hey Fred, I'm pretty sure Linc is local. His shop should be in Upland (where I live). Maybe I should "get a map".

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    url?
    heya FC...really nice meeting you by the way!!!!

yeah, i spoke with LINC at the show....very modest guy.

Steve, eh? and i played a few of his basses...really love the neck profile design.

Linc told me he is still in Upland...but, i'd be interested in a used EBONY if the price was right...hence, my question to Bradley.

oh, anyone know what happened to the linc luthier web site? does he still have one? url?

f

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No, a friend of mine bought it. He says he's not worthy of taking it out in public yet. He does go through a lot of bass so it may end up on the block again. If it does AND I don't get it... ;)

It was truly a "Holy ***!" kind of instrument. I've played other Lincs that were okay, there may still be a couple at Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD. They were nowhere near the Ebony Linc. I should have bought it.

In addition to sound and playability, the workmanship was flat out amazing. If he made a bass that played and sounded the same with a more mainstream look, I have no doubt he'd be as revered as ANY builder out there. The V neck is too cool, the woods are gorgeous, the hidden in plain site trussrod is a very nice touch, the Barts work so well in this bass.

Thanks, fred. Now I want it... again;)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Stop it, just STOP IT, Fred!!!! ;)

Did Ritter have the shiny gold job that they wouldn't even let the guys from Bass Player pick up???

Also, were Ray Rogers and Basslabs represented there???

8. I think Linc's page should show up here:
    http://members.aol.com/lincinc/lincluthier.html
    It's not working for me, but it looks like the file's there.

JT played that gold Ritter, I believe, and is thinking about buying one of the seven strings.

Good meeting you too, Fred. My Saturday rehearsal was alright; they fired the drummer though, and our studio time is already booked, so I dunno what we're gonna do.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hehe....NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!

i spoke with JENS RITTER about the bass that was supposedly forbidden fruit!!!

it was a complete misunderstanding...JENS wasn't even there when the guy from BASSPLAYER showed up. a friend of his was manning the booth while JENS went to the boys room (or something)...they had just put some new pickups in it the night before...i think...

i don't remember exactly why his friend said they couldn't play it....but, by the time JENS returned the BASSPLAYER guy was gone...

JENS didn't even know about this whole event, until he read it in BASSPLAYER. that's when he asked his friend what had happened.

JENS isn't happy about the this portrays his company's attitude...and i will say that JENS is a SUPER guy...VERY friendly, funny and willing to work with anyone!!!

AND, his grandmother makes some KILLER bass straps!!!!

BUY 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fred

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  11. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm on his website now:

http://members.aol.com/lincinc/lincluthier.html

comes up slowly...but its there.

i just called his shop...i may head over there this weekend.

you're welcome brad...GAS hurts...i'm kinda scared...he has some stock left from NAMM...OY!

f

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Bastard???????

Ok just for that I'm uploading that "nasty" pic and you will see that you look far better than I do in it Fred! LOL...off to Club Photo...BRB

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    DUDE, you know i mean that with all the low end love a guy can muster...

i thought you had already upped it!!

thanks for the CLUBPHOTO heads up...looks pretty cool.

is there a limit for the FREE ALBUMS?!?! # of photos, etc.

thanks for the BASS BASH stevie boy!!! really nice to see everyone.

i think i have a crush on a certain luthier's wife...shhhhh. what a cutey.

fred

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    goddamn that's scary!!!!!!!!!!

f

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ