NAMM: Ibanez Roadgear basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah, anyone had a chance to play any?
    any pics out there?
  2. check it out --

old roadstar headstock and fat neck on a more modern body. i'm more interested in BTB and RKB basses.

3. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    They are very nice basses !! And with BASSLINES pickups !! nice sound. Go try one ! :cool:
  4. looking at the body again, it has the same shape as a kinal.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Has anyone had a chance to try one of these? I've been curious abou tthem ever since I saw moe.'s Rob Derhak playing one...
  6. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played one at a local store (Ontario Music) last week.

I thought the neck felt big / thick like a Stingray. It was heavy compared to the Soundgears, felt very substantial compared to other Ibanez prodcuts but I have only played Soundgears.

Sounded pretty good but I did not spend a lot of time with it.

Don't like the looks much though.
  7. I've just trusted my judgement on one of these and ordered one without playing it. As a working musician this seemed a good buy for £350 including shipping as I need a second bass that's not going to attract too much attention and one I can hand to students without freaking out (that's me not them - having lent students have a go on all sorts of equipment last Chistmas as a treat, I can assure you that it's ulcer making to watch your best stuff get wiggled, hammered, thrashed and generally abused by youngsters who's parents obviously just buy another when they break anything).

The new RD600 looks OK, and seems to have all the credentials I was looking for - good pick-ups, active EQ (just in case I need it) good woods, stong contruction, not too flash.

I'll report back when I can AB it against my Jazz Standard and give it an outing with an audience. I'd expect it to be a bit better than the Fender as it has better p/u's and I don't have to pay so much for the Branding - we'll see next week anyway.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Sorry, but that headstock is nothing like the old Roadstar.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, for which I don't blame you. It would be great if they came out with somethign that nice again.

I think these basses look pretty nice. Wonder if there's a 5 in the works.
  9. Yep I like that old one. And there were plenty of other designs over the years that were OK - re,meber the Burns Scroll - rather like the top of a cello. And the headless, with string tuning at the tail. Or the Thunderbird. Guild. Surely the standard 3 a side like the gfuild and Gibson isn't copyright. I gueass with everyone suing everyone nowadays on design trade marks it's difficult. How about a slot head?