Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NAMM Reports, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Okay folks, with as many bass addicts as there are out there, SURELY SOMEONE went to the NAMM show.

I've been looking for the Aguilar GS 212 cabinet myself. I don't even see it on the Aguilar website yet!

Did you go? Do you have any pics?!

2. I've been really busy since the show but this weekend I'll finally have a chance to go through all of the 400 pictures I took and post some. I think that most of the pictures are of the Trey Gunn Band who played a few shows while I was down there.

Most of the pictures I took of the show were of high-end basses.

- Dave

3. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    Dear Friends,

NAMM was enjoyable and exhausting as usual. I have a few pictures to show on my website.

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/basspage.html

Unfortunately due to the demise of photopoint, I have lost last year's pictures which were more extensive.

My roommate in Anaheim was a Robbie Garner of Dallas, Texas who I met online.

Robbie is a very nice guy and it made the show more fun to have someone friendly and knowledgeable to hang out with.

The gear that impressed me the most was the Roland V-bass. This looks to be the synth bass system we have all been waiting for for the last 20 years, especially since the Peavey midi-bass seems to have disappeared.
    At the cost of $1500, it costs more than most basses, so it will be a while before I get one <G>. Perhaps the price will drop in a few years like the V-guitar system.

The Boss bass multi-effects looked good too, it's got the equivalent of lots of pedals in it and nice programming capacity.

Alain Caron demonstrated this pedal while playing with a backing track. He was awesome.

The most innovative basses that I saw were the Bass Lab basses. They are made of graphite but use a different manufacturing system than Modulus, Status and others. The bodies and necks are hollow and the instruments are very light. They have a good sound and a distinctive look.

The Parker Fly bass has finally arrived. It had a lot of great sounds, but also had a $3000 price tag. If it had arrived 10 years ago as promised it would be a winner, but everyone else is making such great basses that I think it will be a tough sell.

Jazz basses ruled the show. Every company has its own version and it's a tough choice out there for the serious buyer. I talked to Mike Lull and the bass he is building for me is almost done. I'll post pictures when I get it.

The top-end basses are all beautiful and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

On the budget side, Jay Turser is turning out some well-made and good sounding instruments for unbelievably low prices. He has copies of most of the popular Fender, Gibson, and Music Man basses and guitars and also has some nice budget amps.

Matthew Garrison sat in the Fodera booth and played all day, every day. He played duets with everyone who stopped by. While I was watching, Marcus Miller walked by, was handed a bass and the two then played a duet. Marcus asked Matt, do you know "Softly as a morning sunrise", then played it for him once while saying the changes. The two of them then ripped into for the next ten minutes. I would have like to try my hand at duetting with Matt, but it would have meant some serious pushy behavior on my part to get in there and that's not really my style.

Andrew Gouche', the great gospel bass player, played with his band at the SWR booth. Since they were playing all instrumental music, the gospel tag was virtually meaningless, it sounded like very good fusion to me. I'm glad to have heard another super bass player of whom I was unaware.

In Saturday night's concert, Kai Eckhardt sounded great playing with Larry Coryell. In one song, he played some sort of strummed arpeggios all the way through the song, a very unusual approach which sounded great.

The Budda was also on the show with his usual astounding slap display.

Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukenen were playing in the bar at the Hilton. Jack has the same sound with his signature bass and a SWR Baby Blue amp as he did in the heyday of Jefferson Airplane (it's considerably softer now, though).

Another bass player who I have met online, James Patterson, was playing with Jenna Music at the Taylor booth. The whole band used Taylor acoustics. I was happy to meet James, so far everyone that have met online has turned out to be very friendly in person.

Other people I talked to were Ed Friedland, Bob Lee, Chuck Rainey, Gary Grainger (who was playing at the SWR booth), Rocco Prestia, Bernard Purdie, and Greg Rzab (who is now playing with Jimmy Page).

Three of my former students were there: Ernie Rideout who is now an editor of Keyboard Magazine, Teja Gerken who is now an editor at Acoustic Guitar Magazine, and Eric Eisen whose ad agency handles the advertising for Thomastic, Modulus and Rick Turner.

I also ran into my friend, the excellent drummer Vince Littleton, who was endorsing Paiste. Vince and I have played together on several cd's.

One night in the bar I heard a guy who was singing through a vocoder and playing keyboards along with a sequencer and a drummer. He peformed Bohemian Rhapsody with all the vocal parts, all the guitar parts and brought down the house. I wish I had caught his name.

At one point I saw a long line of tattooed and pierced kids waiting to get some old guy's autograph. It turned out to be Mr. Marshall, the inventor of the amp.

For some unknown reason, Fender and Gibson were on a different floor than everyone else. I never found the Gibson room. Fender had all kinds of nice new variations on the Jazz bass, including a nice new 5 string that actually sounded and felt like a Jazz bass.

Yamaha was in a whole different building, so I never found them.

I was only there for two days, so I missed Dude's party, maybe next year.

Jeremy Cohen

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Can you tell me about the new SWR 4x12?

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i think there were one or two threads on it in the AMPS forum :)

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No one ever replied :(

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Wow, Gary was in the SWR booth. Wonder if that means he's not going to use Tech anymore?

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

yep..it was NAMM. Highlights? Well, as someone said walking by Fodera and seeing Matt Garrison and (fill in name here). He is truely a remarkable talent. Musta watched him a dozen or more times (I was there for the jam with MM too!)
    TB's very own Steve Lawson worked his own magic over at the Ashdown booth, and was stunning! Really guys (and gals) you owe it to yourself to check out Mr. Lawson's work....truely magical.
    And then there was the long-awaited Parker Fly Bass. I have been hearing about this for so long now it was kind of under-whelming. But it sure did play smooth! Very lighweight, and comfy. I am unsure about those DiMarrzio PUs tho.
    The Roland V-Bass was also interesting, if you want no original sound of your own. Has modeling finally run its' course?
    Personally...the highlight was hanging out all Sat and most of sun with David Torn....and visiting Godin Guitars where I was quite suprised to find my picture gracing their new products catalog!
    By the way...the new Godin A4/A5 and BG series were as nice as any basses I saw at NAMM...'cept maybe that Fodera Emporer....
    Max

9. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    I made a mistake....Gary Grainger was at the PRS booth, not SWR. Those pesky initials!

And I did forget to mention that I talked to Steve Lawson who was creating his usual magic with his Line 6 Pod.

I wasn't paying attention to amps or speakers so I can't help with the question about SWR 12's. It's so noisy at NAMM, I don't know how you could ever judge an amp or speakers.

10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

oh...and I almost forgot: Azola basses had the most INCREDIBLE new hollow body. I have forgotten the model name (damn memory cells!) but both fretted and fretless versions played and sounded incerdible! Should probably check their website....I think I need one of those! Beautiful woods (but what d'ya expect from Azola?) and gorgeous tones with exceptional playability!
    Max

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Was he playing a PRS bass?

12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey all how bout that new SWR 412 cab? there were threads in the amps forum... but on one ever replied. if you have any info... please.

13. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    All I was able to find out is that it is called the SWR Pro Series 12-Stack. The list price is $999.00, which is unusual because that is cheaper than the Goliath III.

The new SWR 2x12 is called the 12-Pack and it lists for $699.00; cheaper than a Goliath Junior III.

I hope the 4x12 maintains the same visual theme that the other Pro Series cabs have; black and chrome.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those SWR 12" cabs really have me interested.

anyone know if they will be the same width as all the other cabs?

jason

15. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks Estring. any knowledge on when these things will be available?

16. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    Gary Grainger was definitely playing a PRS bass at the PRS booth.

Who lives in Markley? In 1968 my girlfriend lived there. My band played at the Ark and at Canterbury House, are those places still there?

17. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    HEY! i live in markley! in fact... thats where im writing this reply from.... room 5438, 5th VanTyne house. its a nice homely little jail cell of a room. the ark is still here.. i havent been there yet. dunno bout canterbury house... havent heard anything about it. unfortunatly any bands ive played with have been restricted to house and frat parties. hopefully next year. c ya round.
    ~Scott