Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NAMM Show: Solo Czech-Ease performances

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzbass72, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hi everyone,
    for those of you who will be attending the NAMM Show in Anaheim, I wanted to let you know that David Gage has hired me for some Czech-Ease solo bass performances at his booth. David's booth is shared with Coda Bows (#2810). I will be playing on Friday 20th and Saturday 21st, from 11:00AM to Noon and from 3:00PM to 4:00PM on both days. Feel free to stop by and say hello if you're at the show. I will also be playing duets on electric bass with Carol Kaye at the Ibanez booth, every day from Thursday thru Sunday, times TBD.

Best,
    Marco

2. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    So what TBers are going to NAMM? I'll be there...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It tends to be more of the BG side people than the DB...?

4. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'll be there on Saturday.

I'll wear a white carnation. Or a badge with my name on it. One or the other.

K.

5. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'll wear a badge with my name on it and a white goatee above it...

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Excellent! Finally a DB-related, must-check-out for NAMM.

I'll be sure to say hello Marco. See you in a coupla days.

BTW...forecast for Anaheim is 67 degrees and sunny every day.

7. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

i will be there thursday and sunday most likely.
    i will be working the barker bass booth sunday morning!

i have my own pass these days, but i sure did like it the year i went as "wanda round"

definately looking forward to check out the uprights and bows! ... and BOOTH BABES!

in case anyone was wondering where is the best cheesesteak or hoagies are nearby to the anaheim, IMHO phillys best at 8309 LaPalma, bueno park oughta do it. phillys best has other locations as well.

just in case.....

simon

8. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yes Craig, don't you love that? Last year, it was actually between 80 and 83 degrees every day of the show. I mean, this is freakin' JANUARY!

Man, if there only were a New York City with an L.A. weather year-round. That would be perfect. :D

-Marco (heading to a nice outdoors Jacuzzi in a minute)

9. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Be sure to hear Marco at NAMM if you are going.

I had the pleasure of hearing Marco perform with his Czech-Ease at a concert as part of Eldar's trio here in San Diego last week. Fine playing. Still trying to figure out how you play that fast and so well, Marco, and holding it down just great on those slower tunes too. I'll be sure to catch your shows at NAMM.

10. Marco,

Will you post any clips of you playing the czech? I would love to see and hear that.

11. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I used to own a couple of rehearsal studios and one of our renters gave my piano player and me a couple of NAMM passes which came from a local guitar builder. Fun time, met some really cool folks seemed we were asked to 5 or 6 parties, course we spend way too long at the snack bar (aka booze kiosk). I’d love to go again but I’d just want to buy stuff.

Funny side note, I received demos packages from two separate budding girl-rock bands who each thought I was a record producer, weird…

12. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Steve,
    I got some video clips taken over the past couple of days here at NAMM, I will try to post them after I edit them out and compress them (they're huge files).

Meanwhile, you can check out this live clip of me playing "Moanin'" on the Czech-Ease. It was recorded with my minidisc recorder right on stage. I had only gotten the bass one or two weeks before that gig, so the intonation sucks royally, but I hope the clip can give you a better idea how the bass sounds. The mp3 is at the following link:

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/marcopanascia/moaninedit.mp3

Best,
    Marco

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hey Marco, what're the strings on the Czech-Ease? Seems a little too fuddy-duddy for me as-is.

14. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    What does fuddy-duddy mean? Sorry, English is my second language... I'm still trying to improve my knowledge of slang :D

To answer your question, the bass was strung with Thomastik Spirocore Weichs.

Marco

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, you know how the word buzz actually sounds like buzzing, and "thud" approximates the sound of a thud? This one sounds "fuddy duddy" to me.

Anyway, I would've thought the Weichs would give it a bit more zing. Strange.

16. Marco,

My Czech-ease is strung with weichs too, and I find that the lesser tension on that instrument makes me want to try it with mediums. Do you usually play weichs on your bass ? My German bass sounds beautiful with them, and it's a pleasure to play, but it's true that they don't have as much sustain and feel a little floppy on the Czech.

Great playing anyway !

Ninn

17. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Ninn,
    thanks for your note. I have been loyal to Spirocore Weichs for the past 14 years or so, except for a few months of gut string experimenting. Mediums are generally too stiff for me, even when the tension on the instrument seems lighter. I also find the mediums too midrangey for my tastes...just my $0.02

Marco

18. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey Marco,
    Off topic...
    Do you use Thomastik Spirocore Weichs on your full upright bass? If not what?

19. I agree, the weichs are definitely more open, with more fundamental and less of the focused mids which I dislike in the mediums. I'm just finding them a little too floppy on the Czech Ease, and I'm thinking of trying the mediums.

Have you tried anything else on the Czech-Ease ?

Ninn

20. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    I do use Weichs on all my basses, and try to change them every six months or so, since I like that bright, "in-yo-face" kinda sound... being a Thomastik endorser definitely helps :D I've tried other strings (gut as well), but the Weichs are the only ones that make me sound more like myself, at least I hope...

Marco