Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NAMM Stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I just got back from the show and must say that it wasn't very good this year. Not a lot of people there. I did play a few things that were interesting. Here are the things I liked:
    I played a single cutaway Elrick that was incredible! I played an MTD Lightwave bass that was also very nice, much better than I was expecting. I tried out the new EA cabs through one of their amps and thought they sounded very good. I played some Conklins which I believe included John Turner's new beauty and they were great as usual. I've never met a Conklin I didn't like. John was a great player and a very nice guy. It was nice to meet him and I wish we could have talked longer. i thought the new Fender basses with the flame maple tops looked nice but I didn't play any of them. The Fender that interested me most was a prototype. It had a Jazz body with a P p/u at the neck and a single coil jazz p/u at the bridge. The fingerboard was rosewood with block inlays. It looked great but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to plug it in.
    Here are the things I didn't like:
    I finally got to try a Warrior bass and must say I was disappointed. I thought they sounded fine but the costruction was not good. The finish was horrible. I looked at several and they were all the same. Fret work was bad too.
    I played through the Bergantino cabinets and was not impressed. They sounded thin and muddy to me.
    Another amp I was shocked to find that I didn't like was Aguilar. I do not know what the hype is on these amps. The tone was just so ordinary. In fact, I liked their solid state with the tube preamp head better than their all tube design which included the 400 watt tube power amp with their top of the line preamp. I wanted to like Aguilar but I can't.

Well that's all I can think of for now. If I remember anything else I liked or didn't like I'll post.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey man

it was good to meet you too, and thanks for the kind words. i shoulda guess who you were when i saw your spider man shirt :D i must've been tired.

yeah, i agree, the show this year was pretty weak. i heard there were only around 600 exhibitors. that's about 2/3's of what the summer show usually is. i've heard, from various sources, that retail isn't doing too well - sales are down, and the industry is sorta feeling it.

blame punk, eh? :D :D :D

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hello, John. It was bad. I've been to several and each year I tell myself i won't go back but I end up going back. "They keep pulling me back in!" This one will definitely be the last. There were no big name players there, no shows to go to afterward. It was so sad Saturday night that my brother and I went to see a movie instead of taking in any of the show crap. The industry isn't doing too well right now but that's how it always goes. It'll rebound and all will be well. Was that your bass that I played? If so it's very nice. It has great clarity and depth and plays extremely easy eventhough i can't play that many strings! I can deal with six, any more than that and I have to think too hard!

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    was it the black hollowbody? yeah, that's mine, the one that i was picking up at the show. and for not being able to play that many strings, you were doing an excellent job of it :D.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I was there! (In spirit at least!) :D There will be a show in Anaheim? What state?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the one and only - across the street from disney land. they have it there every year, except for a recent 3 year break as they rebuilt the convention center.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Aha! Now we are talking. That's about 10 miles from my house. :D So next time it's there, I can play with the gadgets too. ;)

I wonder what the next line of acordians will be like?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    midi double-squeezebox accordians, no doubt :D

9. Are there any NAMM shows in the eastern US? Maybe in Pittsburgh or something?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, namm only happens 2x a year, in la and in nashville. furthermore, it's closed to the public - it's a trade show only open to music store owners and their guests and instrument manufacturers and their guests.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Uh, oh. :(

I better tell the vendor of the store that I make my next purchase at, "my purchase of your product depends on the availablity of NAMM tickets." :D

JT just got in because of his custom one stringer. ;)

12. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    Did anyone see this? I have heard it is killer, both Passive and Active.

CHANCE

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Did they have any of the spectors in the peacock blue? Thats the color i orderd my usa bolt on 5! Still havent seen in it person so i hope the clor is as cool as the pic was on the web sight!

14. When are the new products displayed at NAMM going to be available at the stores? Is it customary for the new products to hit the stores the year following the NAMM exhibit? More specifically, does anyone know when the new Fenders will be available? Has anyone tried the new Fenders and if you have, how do they compare to the Fender basses available now?

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey eric

spector had a BUNCH of basses, but since none of them had 7 strings, i didn't pay that much attention :D.

alexssandro

from my experience, products debuted at namm hit usually hit the stores in about 3-6 months. sometimes longer if there are some problems, and sometimes shorter if the company is very big and can get the buyers of the stores to move quickly.

oh, and gabu, if you're interested in going to anaheim, pm me.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    La and Nashville...I wish it would come back to Chicago. I didn't know any better when it WAS here. Oh well...probably for the better;)

Sorry to hear the show was a disappointment. Can you describe the feel of the single-cutaway Elrick? How did the sound compare to an MTD (not the lightwave model, which probably sounds quite different).

17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i went to the winter NAMM last Jan. Great show. I usually speed walk the whole thing, then go back and revisit the high points. Lotsa great bass stuff this year.

Anaheim Convention Center is only about 10 miles from me too.

Gabu: What city do you live in?

I'm in Orange.

f

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Long Beach. Just right imbetween the 405 and 91. Anaheim is just a hop, skip and a jump away. :D

I probably wouldn't walk though. I need to save my energy for fondling all the equipment I can. ;)

19. I used to live in Long Beach for 5 years. (Just moved to Texas in April) I've lived in a number of places in Long Beach, but the most recent place was in Signal Hill by the Orange Ave exit. Do you live in the Bixby Knolls area? I didn't know there was another Talkbasser in Long Beach!

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I sure do. :) My wifey and I have been discussing moving to Texas also. I was born in Austin. The lack of state income tax and lack of Grey Davis makes a pretty profound argument. But it's always difficult to just up and move.