Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NAMM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Hey how can one get admission into the NAMM show?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Pay me $1500 for a badge. That's all you have to do...really! :p

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually....you generally need to be a builder, dealer, endorser, or someone in the music business. NAMM is a trade show, and while there are people who have "connections" to get into the show, it's pretty much just for people who make music-related products.

4. hmmm...must find way to sneak into show

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Delinquent!

:D

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    About six or seven years ago I was in LA with the Family (I was 18 at the time) and we were staying literally up the road from the NAMM show that summer. Anyway I used to sneak over to the bar at the hotel next door to the motel we were staying at and have a few quiet beers because the bartenders there were happy to serve me alcohol (must have been the cool accent :) ). Anyway I saw NAMM was on and started talking to a few guys at the bar about getting in and they said "only for trade" etc. Anyway, one guy says to me that he had a spare pass and that I could use it, but if anyone asked not to say where I got it from.

Anyway I get this pass and its for a dealer with Kaman Music (I didnt know who Kaman were at the time). So the next day (opening day of the show) I went to the bar at the Hilton (the one next to NAMM) and was sitting their having a coffee with my badge on ready to go in and this lady sits next to me and starts talking to me about Kaman. I quickly say I work for the Australian office and she says "Oh, I didnt think they had an Australian office"....busted!

Luckily I started to talk about how it was just starting up and lit a cigarette when she said "excuse me, I dont like smoking" and walked away...(lucky me!)...anyway the show was great and didnt have any more hassles but it looks like I was pretty lucky because I have heard they are cracking down on that kind of thing!

7. LUCKY! I would do anything 2 get into NAMM :(

8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    as an Artist I was able to get a few passes in 1999 and 2000 from a couple of manufacturers (won't say who...). but I haven't gone since then....its definitely a great time and the amount of talent there is staggering

well worth checking out if you can....I plan on (hope to!) start going again starting in 2005

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    so which is it?

NAMM International Music Products Association
    NAMM National Association of Music Manufacturers
    NAMM National Association of Music Merchants

10. The trick is to start early. Most music stores have access to passes, and they can submit your name as helping represent the dealership, but the list of names has to be submitted a couple of months in advance.

It's a great experience to meet all the great innovators of the music gear world, and try out their latest & greatest.

Aloha,

Jonathan