Nanny, Simandl or Rabbath

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by altugbas, Jul 24, 2000.

1. altugbas

Jul 24, 2000
    I am a new beginner and I am practicing Nanny’s method for about 4 months. The etudes do not seem to follow each other in terms of difficulty:it is like for the pages to look good many etudes in between are discarted. The other methods I know are Simandl and Rabbath. Is there much difference between Nanny’s method and Simandl’ s? I tried the Rabbath fingering for the A major scale:Astring;0 1 4 Dsring;0 1 4 G string;-1 2. I cannot reach the g# and a with out changing the place of my thumb. Can I benefit from Rabbath’s methods. Which method (also there must be other methods)will be best for me?(Note: i cant afford a teacher)
  2. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Check out George Vance's Progressive Repertoire. I would also get his scales/exercises book called Vade Mecum. He is Rabbath-based but starts slow and works you into the fingering system. You can get them at Lemur Music.

I've also heard good things about Morton's books. You should also check for ideas and links.
  3. altugbas

Jul 24, 2000
  4. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    You actually have to go to the "Sheet music" section of the Lemur website and scroll way down the page. The method is published by Slava Publishing the Lemur catalog number is SLA 001. The first volume now contains books 1 & 2 and a CD (recorded by Rabbath) its around $15-$20. The Vade Mecum by Vance is a scales/exercises book catalog number SLA 023 $11.50. They don't seem to be in the online store. You might have to call or e-mail them to place the order (they are good people to work with)

Lemur also has the Morton's books put out by Basso Profundo publications (which also has its own website).

I don't work for any of these companies. I'm working through the Vance method with my teacher and find the books well put together.
  5. altugbas

Jul 24, 2000
    Thanks I found the books.I will order as soon as I can.

6. jasonheath

jasonheath Bass Blogger / Contrabass Conversations host

Aug 11, 2006
    Chicago IL
    I have found the George Vance Progressive Repertoire and Vade Mecum volumes to be really great for beginner and intermediate students. I started using them about four years ago with my students, and I noticed that students who started with this method tended to progress much faster than they did with the Simandl book.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've studied from both the Simadl and Nanny books and I can't imagine doing it without a teacher. You are likely to develop some bad habits that will hinder your playing in the long term without an experienced player to guide you. Both method books have exercises that will be challenging for a beginner fairly early in the book. The meat and potatoes of what they teach (fingerings, shifting, bowing exercises) are basically the same. They are both great methods. From what I know of the Rabbath method it is much different than traditional classical technique of the other two books as you have experienced. I think it would be "safer" to stick with either Nanny or Simandl as thats what most of the jazz guys that I know have done.
  8. I agree with basss. The Simandl and Nanny are the most straight forward methods. Plus you should FIND A TEACHER! Studying with someone who can help guide through any method is the best thing.
  9. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Simandl is the standard in America, esp. for jazz players. Nanny works.
    I would certainly work through one of them with a teacher.
    I Vade Mecum by George Vance books, I don't get much out of it.
    The exercises are nice, though. Vance and Rabbath are better done post Simandl.
  10. I have used Simandl, Nanny, and Rabbath, and I don't think Rabbath is *that* different. I think Nanny is a very good method book, but of all those three, I would say that Rabbath makes the most sense to jazz playing in the long term. I would, however, strongly agree that with any of those books or otherwise, you need to get a good teacher. Really, you can't afford *not* to have one, even if you only had one lesson a month. There are many physical issues with the bass that need an experienced eye to address.
    By the way, if you keep your thumb relaxed, you can allow your hand to move back to the G# without moving it. If a teacher could show you, you would see what I mean right away.
    Good luck!