Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nanny's or Simandl?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Leco, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Leco

Leco

Oct 10, 2002
    NY,
    As a Jazz player beginning to get serious about classical, witch one is better.
    Nanny's or Simandl? Half position or first position?
    what's the big differences?
    Leco:confused:

2. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Methods?

Most of the bass world goes with Simandl. I personally don't and instead prefer Italian methods (Bille, Bottesini, etc). Nanny's, from what I understand, is largely based on Bottesini, so given the choice, that's my vote. I would go with whatever method your teacher uses/recommends. Teaching yourself from any method is highly discouraged.

3. Leco

Leco

Oct 10, 2002
    NY,
    Well I am going to check out the Botessine also.
    I am looking into Nannys by myself now since in Ny is hard to find a classical teacher,if you know what I mean?
    known teacher=120 $ , Kind of hard to find a good teacher
    thanks for your repl.

4. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Actually that IS really expensive. I'm sure some of the NY people could tell you of teachers that are thoroughly decent but not that expensive. Maybe even post-grads from those great schools you've got in NY. They probably wouldn't be asking all that much.

Even if it were that expensive, you could consider getting lessons once a fortnight, or once a month, or whenever you could afford it. It is much much better than trying to do without a teacher.

5. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    There's one good thing about living in a very big small town with a Symphony.

I get weekly lessons (1 hr) from the 2nd chair bassist for $40/hr.

Worth every penny.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    A method besides Simandl ????? I had no idea.;)

My old teacher worshiped at the altar of simandl -except that he was a French player...

7. It's not the book that counts, it's how your teacher guides you through it.

I try to use a variety of books with my students, including books by George Vance, Hal Robinson (Strokin'), Simandl (New Method), Petracchi (Simplified Higher Method), plus various other exercises and warmups by various teachers and players.

The important thing for a student is to have a regular teacher to guide your ear and your technique, no matter what resources you work with.

8. Leco

Leco

Oct 10, 2002
    NY,
    So Any Ideas of an affordable teacher in NY?
    thanks

9. Go to Mannes, Juilliard, etc. and post a sheet that says you're looking for a teacher. Advanced players looking for students should be leaping at the opportunity to teach.

:bassist:

10. I have an extraordinary teacher, Wei Sheng Lin, originally from Taiwan, who has played in the symphony there. He teaches traditional Simandl technique and he himself plays with a beautiful, large, and full bowing sound. He has also studied jazz with Ray Drummond, Rufus Reid, Todd Coolman, and Dennis Irwin for several years in the New York City area. So he is outstanding in teaching jazz bass as well. He is reasonably priced for lessons and he is very creative as a teacher. However, he plays for a few weeks in Taiwan, then he's back for 2 or 3 months in New York City. So there are spaces in the lessons. If you are interested to contact him, send me an email.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    IMO a great teacher should be the first priority for any serious student. Not only someone who can teach you how to play but how the biz works. Someone, who at the right time, might begin to introduce you to the musical community. A mentor, for lack of a better word.

12. Eh, Pedro
    Jeff Eckles was the mentor I wanted. Used to be in Madison, WI.
    When I enrolled at UWSP he was the bass teacher....

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Actually, my son is the bass player ~ I'm just a hack. Anyhoo, Jeff is a great guy and a terrific bass player. He's also a damn fine teacher. Unfortunately for us, he's teaching at North Texas State and so is unavailable most of the year. During the summers though I schedule a lesson or two with him if only to keep the contact. KPO, where ya at these days? Who did you study with at UWSP? My son studied there briefly with a very fine teacher named Catalin Rataru.

Our fulltime teacher is Larry Gray in Chicago. Long ass trip for us but Larry is UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE and worth every second!!!! He is by far, the best teacher I've ever encountered and I don't think that there isn't anything he can't play. A true multi-instrumentalist with an incredible resume and wealth of experiences. Degrees in performance cello, could easily make a living as a jazz pianist or guitarist and the first call bass player in Chicago. In addition he did 18 years at DePaul and has experience playing with the CSO. I consider us very fortunate to have found him.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    FWIW, Larry has my son working from Bille' which is a great relief as he absolutely HATED Simandal.

15. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I got to see Jeffrey Eckles do a performance at the TBS last year up at UNT. He was great, and he showed us all how to use timpani sticks to bow improvised passages.

When he would pull-off to an open string in a skip the whole bass would go "Meow!".

16. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    an hour???

17. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Jeff is the man!!

Last year when I was doing a 2 night deal in Dallas, we went to see Lynn Seaton's group play at some gay bar that had a jazz night. When we got there, we heard Lynn was sick so we thought about leaving, but he sent Jeff Eckles to sub. I had never heard of him, but I was glad I stuck around

Really great player.

Monte

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Its nice to hear so many good things about a guy as nice as Jeff.