Nano Clone - can't daisy chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I have a weird problem with a new Nano Clone I just picked up - when I plug it into the daisy chain on my pedal board and turn it on, the power light on the pedal board blink on and off and nothing works, but when I plug it in with a dedicated adapter it works fine. It's not sucking up too much juice because I unplugged everything else and it still did the same thing.

Seems like the power supply just doesn't like it for some reason and I'm not sure why -- are these not able to be used with a daisy chain?

2. alot of the new ehx pedals cant be daisy-chained unfortunately ie: Bass Blogger, Steel Leather, XO BMS

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Do what I did with my Nano Clone,...sell it. It's sucks volume like no other and the low end loss is unacceptable,...unless of course,...you know,...you were trying to achieve volume suck and low end loss.

Isn't there a sticker near the power jock that says,..."do not use in a daisy chain"?

Ramleg85 likes this.
  4. They need to be fed an isolated charge. GigRig virtual batteries should solve the problem, while still allowing you to daisy chain.

5. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Dang.. maybe I'll axe it then.. wasn't digging on the sound particularly anyway, and you're right about the volume loss...

6. And I, too, back what James says. It is one of EHx' most horrid creations to date.

In the same price range, look into the ModTone Aqua Chorus.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The Nano Clone is reverse polarity, so when it plug it in the daisy chain, it shorts out everything else. It needs its own isolated power source. But yes, it sucks. It is the worst thing EHX ever released.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    And I speak from experience. I bought one off craigslist on an impulse. I wish I would have checked here first. I was able to sell it on ebay for about the price I paid for it though. A CEB-3 is better than the Nano Clone,...and it's wacky polarity? What was EHX thinking?

9. yeah most ehx xo pedals dont work in daisy chain. my small stone added buzz soon as connected to a daisy chain and the bass muff adds buzz when turned on

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Line6 Tonecore pedals don't like daisy chaining either.

11. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    My BBM is fine with a daisy chain as was the LBM before it.. though this would explain why that Steel Leather I had briefly didn't work well. Strangely, the Nano BassBalls I had worked fine. Man they need to be a little more forthcoming about that polarity business as I would have had no reason to think a cheap Nano pedal would have to be special like that.

I've been told good things bout the CEB-3, but I just can't handle the tone suck that comes along with Boss pedals.. I didn't even think it was that big a deal until I took my LS-2 out of the chain and heard the difference..

12. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but do these 'non-daisy-chainable' pedals also not work with, say, a T-Rex Fuel Tank? I was considering getting one of those because it could also power my Valve Drive, but if it won't work with some of my other pedals, I'll have to get the PP2+ instead and keep the Valvedrive wallwart hooked up as well:meh:

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    :confused:

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Different cause, however. Poor filtering, high current draw, etc.

Never had this problem with any EHX XO pedals in a daisy chain (prior to getting a PP2+, I daisy-chained my XO Clone Theory, Little Big Muff, and other XO pedals without issues), aside from the ones which have positive ground designs...

Which leads me to this:

It's not reverse polarity. Many reverse polarity pedals work fine on a daisy chian - you just need to get the right barrel plug.

However, some pedals with reverse-polarity jacks are also "positive ground" pedals. Usually, it's because they're using PNP transistors. A classic example of a pedal using PNP transistors (and consequently, having this daisy-chaining problem) is the Fuzz Face.

EHX did disclose that their Nano Muff and Nano Clone could not be daisy-chained, and has been placing warning labels near the power jacks on these pedals. I think there's a blurb in their manuals about it, too. I haven't looked into the Blogger or XO BMS to see if similar blurbs and labels exist.

To be clear, however, only a select few XO and Nano pedals are positive ground designs. Most work just fine on a daisy chain.

Also, the "can't daisy chain" business is a tad misleading. Yes, it's true that you can't daisy-chain them with most pedals. But you can still use isolated power supplies, and if you happen to be particularly weird, you can daisy-chain positive ground pedals together.

Getting onto the subject of isolated power...

The Fuel tank does not have isolated outputs, so you couldn't use it for these kinds of pedals.

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Which is what led me to ask,..."wasn't there a sticker near the power jack" in my original reply.

No offense to .:Saint:., but assuming the "do not daisy chain" label exists on his particular pedal,...we would be having this conversation right now. EHX didn't put it there for their own health.

If the OP bought it used (or new even) and there was no label on the pedal,...or the instructions included,...nor did the seller make it explicitly clear; I'd say that the pedal was misrepresented IE the label was intentionally removed.

For the record when I sold mine on ebay,...I made it clear as bell that the pedal could not be used on a daisy chain. I chased one bidder away with my honesty,...but I'd rather they buyer know than get grippie e-mails and negative feedback. The buyer said he was using batteries so it didn't matter.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm really hoping that EHX discontinues it and releases a Nano Clone II or Nano Small Clone. The Small Clone is an awesome pedal, and if they could shrink the Small Stone with perfect success, why not do the same with the Small Clone?

17. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    The Big muff and the nano small stone got this problem as well?

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    No, they do not.

Like I mentioned earlier, most of EHX's XO and Nano series pedals are just fine.

Off the top of my head, these ones can't be daisy-chained because they have a "positive ground", although they do run at 9VDC:
    • Nano Muff
    • Nano Clone
    • Bass Blogger
    • XO Bass Micro Synthesizer
    I might have missed one or two, but IIRC, all of the other 9VDC ones are fine.

There are other XO series pedals which also can't be daisy-chained, but those are blatantly obvious because they run on unusual voltages. For example, the new XO Frequency Analyzer runs on 40VDC, and the Hum Debugger runs on 7.5VAC. Good luck daisy chaining those with anything! :D

19. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I don't recall seeing a label on the Pedal about not Daisy Chaining, though I'll admit I wasn't looking for one when I hooked it up, as my thought process was "this is a $50 Nano pedal, how specialized can it be?".

I will admit to not having read the manual, but in my defense, it's a pedal with one knob and a footswitch.. seemed fairly self-explanatory.

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    This is partly why I think it's in dire need of replacement by a superior version - a true Nano "Small Clone."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021