1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

nano small stone soundclips?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Luther Blissett, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Hi all

well, since this is my first real post here on talkbass, maybe i should introduce myself first a bit. After 8 years of silence, I picked up my bass again last year (lived abroad and moved around a lot, and couldn't carry much gear with me). With an old friend of mine, I have some experimental improv project going on. What we do is, we basically toy around a lot with sound and effects. When we just started out I borrowed most of my effects, and then I bought a few very cheap behringer effects. But I've become increaslingly disgruntled with the sound of those effects, and now I want upgrade my effects one by one. Alas, I'm on a tight budget.

Here's what I got so far:

boss dd-20
    exh bms
    behringer bass overdrive
    behringer bass chorus
    behringer super phase shifter
    arion bass flanger
    ehx little big muf (and i just bought it recently because I got a good deal on it, and I read so many good reviews about it here on tb)

Now I'm looking to replace my phaser. I've read a lot of good things about the ehx nano small stone here on tb, and I'd love to try one out. I found a cheap one on the internet, but I'd like to try one out before I buy it. Unfortunately none of the music shops in brussels seem to have one in stock, so now I'm looking for some soundclips with the nano smallstone on bass, just to know how it sounds. I've done a search of the forums and haven't found any...

and on a similar note, I can get the nano clone cheap as well for the moment, but I don't know if it's something for bass. Any views on this? Maybe I should save just a bit more and go for the digitech bass multi chorus.

If you have other effects advice, feel free to let me know. (and to be complete, if you want to get an idea of the things I would use the nano small stone for, soundclips of our little project can be found on www.myspace.com/wearekareneliot)

So in short:
    does anyone have soundclips of the nano small stone?

Thx!

Luther

2. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    sorry no clips but if you do a search for both pedals (nano clone and nano stone) you'll see that the nano stone is quite well liked around here and the nano clone has some major issues goin on.

i also wanted to get the clone but the volume drop was pretty bad and it had powering problems (you cant daisy chain).

the nano stone sounds pretty much exactly like the small stone. just smaller, easier to power and no volume drop :)

3. yup, was thinking about trying out a regular small stone as well, but no one has them in store either!

and the reason I asked about the clone was that I saw one for really little money, but I read about those issues as well, So I'll just save a up a bit more for a decent chorus...

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I think the EHX line of pedals is far superior to the Digitech line fo rmany reasons.

EHX is putting out some amazing stuff lately and aside from the Nano Clone, I don't think you can go wrong with any of their pedals.

5. IIRC, James Hart recorded some clips with the nano small stone a while ago.
    IIRC, the sound was very nice!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks.... they are here http://www.myselfalone.com/tayste2000/stone/

it's my Bee into the Nano stone into my Peavey Classic 400 & 1820

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    nice, was the overdrive coming from the classic?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

yup [​IMG]

kinda makes my recent dirt type stomp box obsession silly :smug:

9. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    I had the clone for 10mins, and sent it right back...

10. Does the Nano clone have the same issue as the Small Clone?

11. What issues does the Small Clone have? I think the small clone is meant to be better on bass than the nano clone, and the nano clone has that daisy chaining problem too unlike the Small clone which is fine with them.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :confused:

If there's an issue with the Small Clone, do tell - there's nothing I'm aware of.

The Nano Clone, on the other hand, seems to have problems with both guitar and bass... I've seen complaints about it on guitar forums every now and then.

No, I'm not a turncoat - I just look for info for my guitarist-brother from time to time... :p

13. My bad in my earlier post. I meant to ask does the clone line have the volume drop that vic_6 says the small stone has. :bag:
    sorry about the mistype. :meh:

14. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    the small clone from what i remember doesnt have any volume drops. just the nano clone. the small stone has a volume drop but the nano stone doesnt. :)

15. Hey James, thx for the soundclip,

My nano small stone is underway, can't wait for it to get here. In the mean time I scored a boss ph-3 phaser on ebay. Can't wait to compare them.

Anyway, thx everybody for your replies!!!

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    any time.... I'm curious how the boss compares. I've got a Red Witch, Nebula and Quasar in my future... I just dig phasers :)

17. i tried my brothers PH-3 on my bass, but i didn't like it at all. couldn't get much interesting out of it at all.. will probably buy a Nano Small Stone later though.