1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nano?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Aug 15, 2007.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi guys,

i like some of the EHX pedals and since they are mainly a little large in size and costly ... i was thinking of trying some of the EHX nano pedals .. like the nano clone and the muff overdrive .. anyone has comment on these? :)

thanks

2. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I've bought three nano line pedals, including these two (the other being the bassballs)

Well ive passed the clone onto my guitarist, and my muff just sits in my draw. I couldnt justify having two negative tip pedals on my PB, for starters.(having to run of 9V batteries)
    I don't like the nano muff what so ever. It only has a volume knob, so can't even fiddle about with it, to get some half decent sounds. I've lent this pedal to several guitarists, and they all hated it too. They all moaned about not being able to 'pinch'(pinch harmonics) with it! Lots of low end loss!!!!
    The nano clone does work well with guitar, not fantastic with bass. It's nothing different or extraudinary, just a regular chorus IMO.
    I don't believe theyre true bypass too. I'd stay away from those two pedals!

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Nano Clones and Nano muffs suck

Go with a clone theory and a little big muff and be happy. Those two will ruin daisy-chaining and sound weak (esp on bass).

The rest of the nano line rules, however. The bassballs is especially cool

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I wrote a review of the Nano Soul Preacher here in the forum, and I've seen a number of other Nano reviews and commentary written here as well.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Nano Bassballs is awesome. The nano Muff Overdrive is the same circuit as the Muff Fuzz (one of their first pedals), which will sound nothing like a big muff π.

6. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    thanks! :)

with that being said .. i am actually looking for some kind of 'muff' but want to know which might work out just fine and not cutting out too much of the low end ..

7. Do a search for Big Muff. There are a few varieties out there. They all have their fans.

Having said that, the Little Big Muff seems to be the 'pick of the month' for August..

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I'm guessing you don't come to our forum too often, huh? :p

I've been following, testing, and reviewing a lot of the XO series and Nano series EHX pedals since they started making them last year. I was one of the first (if not the first) TBers to get his grubby hands on the Little Big Muff. :D

The Nano Muff actually sounds pretty good, but its biggest issue is not being able to power it in a daisy chain. It's also not as high-gain as your usual Big Muff. I'd suggest checking out the other Muff pedals, like the LBM. And yes, the Nano Clone outright sucks on bass. I tried it two separate times in the hopes that one experience was a fluke, but nope, it's just not a good pedal - noise, daisy chaining power issues, volume cut... If you want the Clone sound, a Small Clone or Clone Theory will do the trick.

The others are great, but it all depends on your tastes. Most sound just like their previous versions, usually with a minor tweak or two. The Nano Small Stone, for example, sounds just like the previous Small Stone, but has no volume drop problem (joy!).

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i recently bought the reissue clone theory and the russian big muff....ok the muff is big but all i can say is that they are both excellent.

10. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Do they both work well with active basses?

11. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Allthough ive not played the LMB with a active, i doubt it would like active basses as its a fuzz. Fuzz pedals never seem to get along with active basses.

Someone may put me right however!

12. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    Im 100 percent passive !!

my only thought is that as with all ehx pedals...there is a certain level of background noise....but the active might raise the input volume which might increase the signal to noise ratio....just a thought.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I use active basses, and they work fine. But like any fuzz pedal, the LBM and others can be somewhat finicky with active basses.

With my Stingray, my LBM was fine. With my EMG-loaded Stiletto (I upgraded it to active EMG pickups when I had it), it was a bit of a problem until I lowered the pickups. But I had to lower them anyway, for other reasons.

Regarding background noise... it's actually better, IME, with active basses. You drive the pedals with more input, and you don't have to crank the pedal itself as much (the source of the noise!).

With my Clone Theory, running it before gain pedals = more noise. Running it at the end, after most of my gain stages = less noise. Not all EHX pedals are noisy, but most are mildly so. If there's white noise coming from ANY pedal... a gain pedal after it will always make it worse.

My two cents: if you're going to drive it hard, drive it hard at the front to minimize the noise.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good advice.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA

There isn't a pedal called the "big muff n". There is the Big Muff Pi (commonly called the Big Muff or BMP), and the English Muff'n. These are distinctly different pedals. There are numerous versions and twists of the of the BMP, but only one Muff'n.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    True... but he didn't say "n" - he said "π", as in, lower case Pi :p

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Holy carp - you're right!!! My old eyes gotta squint pretty hard to see the difference. I apologize for the error, andrewd. Your post was 100% accurate.

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    MrSix1-thumb.

19. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    :D