Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Napolean Dynamite

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indi86, May 1, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hate that movie

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer

but 'ya love taters' so be happy with that....

now fork over those tater tots

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    State legislation aside, I simply don't understand the appeal of that movie.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I really liked the silly dorkiness of al the characters in the movie. I thought they were all constructed really well and were very entertaining to watch interact. I saw it twice in theaters (once when it first came out, before the re-release, and a second time for free) and enjoyed it both times.

Now everyone's made it out to be just a stupid 'quote' film, in addition to the inevitable camp/irony, college kid hyperbole ("N.D. is sooooooooooooooo good!" "OMG, Best Movie Ever", etc) has soured my enjoyment of it. It's not the best movie ever, it's no so good that you need to scream it in my face after you've had 3 shots. It's a funny film that, refreshingly, doesn't need sexual/scatological humor and drug references to be funny.

5. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?

*re reads Will's point*

Oops, I see what you mean.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    here's one for the record:

while eating dinner with my friends from class, we all talked about how much we hated that movie.

and then spent the next five minutes quoting the funny bits from it.

it's, ime, one of those types of movies.

7. Taken from the website:

:smug:

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I thought it was pretty damn funny.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeaaaaaaah

10. I wonder if the chickens of Idaho have razor sharp talons... :confused:

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I hated that movied... until I caught myself quoting from it... and realized I didn't know the plot... yet.. it was still funny...

It's genius...

and how many of us DIDN'T grow up with Napoleon Dynamite?

OMG now that I'm reading this thing... this is AMAZING LOL

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    very funny indeed. I relate to this film and to idaho. :D

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent film, very well done.

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I hated that movie. Though my band has decided to throw in a cover of "Canned Heat" by Jamariquoi complete with either me, my guitarist, or both of us doing the Napoleon Dynamite "dance" during our first show next month.

Note: that was the only part of the movie I really liked. along with Pedro's cousins.

15. Can anyone explain to me why Napoleon, his brother, Uncle Rico, Tina, and Pedro are all stuck in the 70s? Even Napoleon's house is crazy 70s styling. But everyone else in the movie is more or less contemporary. (I'm watching it right now. :D)

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I feel bad for Tina if she's stuck in the 70's...thought it was more 80's tho?

17. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

It takes place in modern day. The point is that these are characters that isolate themselves inside their own little worlds, accordingly, their clothes and such exist outside of any sort of timeframe.

And, it's in suburural Idaho.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I thought the movie was funny.

Do I think it's one of the funniest movies ever? Eh, no. But it was funny and it has sucked me and hundreds of thousands of other people into it's weirdness and that makes it special.

Uncle Rico throwing that steak at Napolean was comedic genius.

19. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Did anyone read the text of the bill? There's some hillarious stuff in it -

14 WHEREAS, tater tots figure prominently in this film thus promoting Idaho's most famous export; and

18 WHEREAS, Uncle Rico's football skills are a testament to Idaho athletics; and

20 WHEREAS, Napoleon's bicycle and Kip's skateboard promote better air quality and carpooling as alternatives to fuel-dependent methods of transportation; and