Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Napoleon Dynamite! Liek LOL!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Holy Crapola!

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I was intrigued by the things I'd read about it, though I when the MTV Films logo flashed across the screen I felt a little apprehensive, wondering "Will this be worth it?" And it was.

The style of the movie is very sort of deadpan, in the same school as Christopher Guest and Wes Anderson, though a little less bizarre (though a little more, in a way). I highly reccommend it to everyone, its one of those movies where you'll go "I totally knew someone just like that."

2. I SO WANT TO SEE IT! It'll will be all to real to me. Especially the guy that chats online all day with babes...

3. Haha, I saw it with my sister a while ago. It was sooooo funny! I couldn't stop laughing! And we sat in front pf a couple that was all making out and we kept on throwing ice on the caus we couldn't see the screen, it was so funny! :D :D :D :D

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    This is one of the few rare summer movies that's on my list.

5. Although very funny, you could tell it was a short film extended to full length.

6. Maybe you should go see it again and make sure you can see the screen then come back and coment on the movie rather than throwing ice at people :rolleyes:

:D
    I want to see it, it look stupidly funny and probably will remind me of a friend* and I bet I will laugh.

*But definately wont remind me of me :ninja:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    As was the case with Bottle Rocket, which is one of my faves.

brad cook

8. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i just saw this movie... and wow. This was great. Way worth the 6.50 i payed to see it. The kid who plays napoleon is a native of salem, OR, my home town, and i remember going to highschool plays with him in it. In the small art theatre that it played in (the only one that played the film in town) was selling napolean dynamite tshirts for 7.50... haha

well, it was neat to see someone i knew in a major film. very cool indeed.

slick

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I know what you mean. When I was in 11th grade my high school was used for filming the movie "Election" with Matthew Broderick and that 'Legally Blonde' girl. At first it was really cool because Matthew was hanging out in the hallways and stuff, but then it just got to be really old. It was a huge pain in the a$$ because you're constantly late to a class due to some keygrip or lighting guy who wasn't letting down the hallway where your class was because they were in the middle of a scene.

Oh well, the cool thing was that they used kids from the school to be in the movie as supporting characters. It was neat to see my friends and my school on the big screen.

10. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    yeh...my school was used for the confessions of a teenage drama queen last year...buh they filmed it during the summer so only one student was really in it because she/he (don't know) won a raffle contest....

yepss...

the ugly building that i'm going to miss now...

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh man that was one sorry POS movie. Talk about some inane dialogue. I went to see it because people were talking about what a clever script it was and yadda yadda.. One of the few movies I've walked out on.

brad cook

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    In a way, I feel that kind of added to its charm. There was a lot of space for the characters to exist without the need to rush because of plot/time restraints.

A lot of times, after I've seen a film, I feel as though its been rushed through. They don't feel as though they have a beginning middle or end, rather, there's a long drawn out beginning, and then a quick conflict and weak climax. With Napoleon Dynamite, though the whole movie was about the characters, and not the existential things that happen to them. I related it, in a way, to "The Adventures of Pete and Pete" in that the characters create there world to live in, not vice versa.

But I'm not student of film, I could just be talking crazy talk.

13. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Did you hear that he was actualy at Salem Cinema for some of the showings? I have a friend that went and apparently he fielded questions after the film!

14. My high school and the mall I go to were used in "The New kid". I'm even in the background during the church choir singing in the mall scene. The told us to act normal or else they would edit us out.

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Dude, you have no idea. The only reason I sat through the whole thing was that I was hoping to see myself in one of the scenes...that and I got into a sneak preview for free. Like I said earlier, it was cool to see kids I knew and my school but other than that the entire experience sucked.

Funny thing is, every other school in town turned down the movie because of how big of a piece of s*** it was. They didn't want to have their school associated with a turd. But not my school! My school saw the dollar $ign$, baybee! Everyone has their price, I guess :meh:

Another funny thing about it was that Reece Witherspoon (sp?) had been recieving nasty letters in the mail from some crazed fan in my town. So, the entire time she was in town, she had the biggest, meanest, toughest looking bodyguard with her at ALL times. Some kid tried to be a smart ass with her by running up and slapping her on the butt...that bodyguard had that kid slammed into the wall so fast that his head spun. Ahhhhh the memories :)

I miss high school.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man that kid deserved to be slammed into the wall!

Anyway, actually as soon as I saw the comment in the original post of this thread about the "MTV Films" logo flashing on the screen I immediately thought of Election and I suddenly had less desire to see Napoleon Dynamite...although I probably will see it...I've heard too much good stuff about it not to.

brad cook

17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    O.T. My school was used for The Hot Chick. It was stupid though, you had to be 18 to be an extra.

Jerks

18. Well this doesnt have much to do with the thread , but I made a cameo in "O brother where art thou" , I was one of the KKK crowd. It was great, cause we went to lunch in our costumes, and there was like a million of us.....hahaha

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    :p :p
    that's funny, yet I can see how other costumers would have been uncomfortable with it.

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    that's really cool! i love matthew broderik.

the high school that my dad and all my uncles, and now best friend goes to is in a lot of movies because it's in los angeles and right next to the ocean.
    i was a counsellor at a summer camp there a few years ago and it was so weird to see all the signs and football logos changed from "pacific palisades high dolphins" into "pacific school eels" or something.