Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow 2x12 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 14, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Can someone recommend an 8ohm 2x12 cab that is designed with both speakers in a row, rather than diagonally across from each other? (Other than SWR)

More compact and narrow like this:
    [​IMG]

Rather than what seems to be the more common:
    [​IMG]

Joey Nahas makes the ones in the first picture, but they are 4ohms each and would require an amp change in order to use both.

Thanks

2. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i recall Ernie Ball having some sort of 2x12 that were sidebyside, i'm not sure of the ohm : (

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm with you 100% on that! I know these companies just want to be able to stack 'em with 4-10 bins. But I think the 2-12 side-by-sides are much better.

Yes, SWR makes, one, but Epifani used to. Maybe they still do. And they make good stuff.

I once e-mailed Genz-Benz and told 'em they should make a bass version of their G-flex bin. Never heard back, of course. But that's the form factor that I'd like.

4. Keep an eye out for used Epifani 2x12s; the older ones had a side-by-side design. I believe they came in 8ohm, but I couldn't tell ya for sure...

Edit: and MrBonex slips in at the last second to beat me :D Yep, it's only the older Epi models that are side-by-side; new ones are all diagonal.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Can't Joey make you an 8 ohm version?

I believe that Low Down Sound http://www.lowdownsound.com will build you what ever you want.

6. E.M.

E.M.

Dec 7, 2003
    The Epifani 2x12's are 4 ohm.

Berklee46,

How do you compare the Nahas to other high end cab manufacters?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's also old JAE's setup...

[​IMG]

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Scott, what is it that you like about the Nahas? Do they compare to anything out there?

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    where can i find more info on joey nahas cabs?

10. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Not right now. The Eminence Delta Pro speakers he uses aren't available in a 16 ohm model.

I'd put them up against any other cab I've tried. (Eden, SWR, Flite, Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Epifani, Aguilar). I've got to give Brad Johnson credit for turning me onto Joey's stuff, so I'm sure he can give you much more insight into them.

It's not that I'm at all unhappy with these cabs. Joey just happened to send me some pictures of his 2x12 cabs and got me thinking that I'd like to try that configuration and see if it's even better than this 1x12 & 1x15 combination.

But to answer the question. I'm happier with these cabs than I was with the other listed above. Tons of punch, tons of volume, and built like tanks. I've played outdoor gigs with my 1x12 and 1x15 with no PA support and the rig just sounded amazing.
    Or to put it a different way, I like his stuff so much that I'm actually seriously thinking of getting rid of my Walter Woods Ultra amp in order to check out the Nahas cabs!
    :))[​IMG]
    (If I end up with the pair of 2x12's, my 1x12 & 1x15 may be for sale if anyone has any interest. It would be a GREAT deal.

11. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    The best way is to drop him a note at joeynahas839@hotmail.com and let him know what you are looking for.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ask him if he'll use Delta 12LFs...they're available in 16 ohms. Nice sounding speakers too.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Are they available in 4 ohms versions. If so, hook em up in series for an 8 ohm load.

14. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Petebass - the only 4-ohm 12" bass drivers that I have seen are the ones in the Ampeg Portabass 1x12 and the ones in the EA Wizzy.

15. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Strangely enough, I just noticed that Avatar now offers the B212 in a 2 ohms version - so apparently there are now Delta 12LF's available in 4 ohm versions. Not so sure about their more expensive lines.

There is a new Genz Benz "Neo X" 212 that has a nice upright configuration, but it is 4 ohm. It has long slot ports on each side. Since these are neodynium speakers, it may be awhile until an 8-ohm cab (16 ohm speakers) comes out, if ever.

16. I've got a couple of 4 ohm Avatar CB112s.They are only 17"wide and make a tall thin stack.I played a gig where I stacked them vertically with the ports together and it worked very well with my B-string,plus the top speaker was closer to my ears so I could hear myself better.I'm sure this isn't in the same league as Epifani but it works well for me.

17. Bergantino 112's are only 13.5" deep. I really love how much space it gives me on a tight stage. Two of them stacked it my main rig and kills! My NV610 is suprisingly "thin" too. It' my monster rig at only 15.5" deep add a inch for the speaker connector on both and you are still gaining some standing room. Sorry, not 4x12 as you asked about, but some great alternatives. I don't find that I need anymore than 2 112's but if I did I would get more Bergs...

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've never needed any more than my 2 112 Bergantino cabs. Any more than that and there's always a PA anyhow. The Bergs can take A LOT of volume as well. I run my Crest ST2000 through them bridged and I get something like 2000watts or more. Those little cabs take it without a problem every time.

19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the older version of the Epifani 212...the newer one, 212D, along with Aguilar you pictures don't fit into my more rectangular shaped trunk. This one fits perfectly.

I'm considering very strongly switching however to their new Neo 12's which are supposed to become available after the NAMM show. Nick Epifani said that they could reduce the weight of my cabinet by 15 to 20 pounds depending on which OEM speaker is in my cabinets.

I much prefer the rectangular speaker cab. It gives you the opportunity to either set it flat on the floor in a bass soaking room and turn it upright in a bass rumbling room. I will say that bar none, this cabinet as is is definitely the best single cabinet I've ever used in 38 years of playing literally anything with a cone in it. Clean, punchy, bottomy/oomphy...it has everything built into one cabinet and is "reasonable" weight-wise....soon to be tremendous weight wise. It IS a 4 ohmer though.

Larry

20. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    As another option, our 2x12 (Whappo Jr.) cabs are both 4 & 8 Ohms in the same cabinet with the new AccuSwitch. Because our 4-Way design has a 12” Neo sub-woofer, 12" woofer, 6" midrange & 2 Neo tweeters, they can handle 800 watts, yet only weight 74 lbs.

For maximum flexibility they are designed to lie horizontally on their side or in the more upright position with equal success.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com
    [​IMG]