Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow 5 neck help again BWBASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    OK, nothing I have been thinking about in a 5 string is working out. I play lefty want to possibly do a warmoth. I currently play a 4 string and was thinking about a 5 string with a narrow neck. Could you use a warmoth P width neck and put a 5 string bridge on the body? The width at the nut is very close to their 5 string. I realize there may be additional changes necessary. What do you think would work? Any suggestions for a nice narrow 5 string that comes in a lefty and is not $60000.00 I tried the Yamaha TRBII5. It sounded nice but the neck was too wide at the heel.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you want a really narrow width five string, look at Ibanez basses. They are so narrow, I have trouble playing them.

3. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I have tried the Ibanez basses but the ones I like, they don't make lefty

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you want to convert a Fender (or a Warmoth or other Fender copy) from 4 to 5 string, Hipshot makes a kit that includes tuners, bridge that mounts with the the original holes, and a nut blank. The list price is expensive, but you are getting 5 ultralites tuners, which are not cheap. And it might be cheaper if bought through a dealer.

Be aware, though, that regardless of the nut spacing, you are going to be going from a Fender standard of 3" across four strings, which is .075" center-to-center for each adjacent string - to 3" across five strings, which is only .600" center-to-center.

Though it's not listed, I would guess that Hipshot would put together a set for a lefty if asked.

Hipshot 4-5 kit

EDIT: If you are going the Warmoth route, you could probably have them drill for all 5 tuners right off the bat.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Warwick, Spector, Music Man, Zon($), Cort, there are a bunch with narrow necks, there's a few.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The standard Carvin LB75 5 string neck has narrower spacing and is fairly thin front to back and you can order it lefthanded.

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Carvin is what I was thinking, too. I've not played a 5 string Carvin, but I've read reports of people with larger hands having trouble with the string spacing. In other words, the necks are small and the strings close together. Of course, they'll make you whatever you want.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're interested in the ultimate Fender-style bass at an exceptional value, you can get a Lull as a lefty (www.mikelull.com). Both Ps and Js are available in 4 and 5 string versions. ;) :D

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    StingRay5 Left Handed? The neck may feel a bit too chunky, but to me it feels like it has a fairly narrow string spacing-a lot more narrow than my Pilot Plus 5. That's all

10. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I had considered Carvin, I guess if it is not right, you can send it back. I read mixed reviews. Some love em some not. Lulls look nice but I have a feeling out of my price range.
    The string ray is also another option. I have a sterling and love it. I was kinda leaning toward a J style but who knows.