1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Narrow 7 stringers, photos need!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shizo, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Guys? What narrowest 7 stringers or just best 7 stringers you've played? I want to get an inspiration but I'd love very narrow 7 string bass. Pictures please!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  2. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    The Ibanez BTB7 has 15.5mm spacing at the bridge.

BTB7_3.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    11 mm (@ bridge) narrow enough?

SR7VIISC.
    SR7VIISC

But both the BTB7E (or the BTB7-NTF) and SR7VIISC aren't available anymore, cause both productions have been stopped.

TolerancEJ and HaphAsSard like this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Lawd, how I wish there were a hybrid of those two! 34" scale and narrow spaced (something like 12~14mm, better if narrowing from low to treble strings).
    I know, nothing I could ever hope to see off the shelf, perfect candidate for rolling my own, or having it custom-rolled for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Oh, freak guys! This is beast! It's totally badass but...Is it bass? To me both of these hybrid Ibbies look like electric guitar for whom, who weren't okay with the amount of djent they can get from RG9.

superheavyfunk and lostreality like this.
  6. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    BTB7 looks awesome ,with its 15.5 spacing it could be really nice, but it looks like it's 17mm - i know it is only visual ;)

7. funkucan'ttouch

funkucan'ttouch Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2007
    west virginia
    My Benavente 7 is 16.5 at the bridge

Attached Files:

8. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Conklin GT7 is 16mm.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Excuse me? ;) Not only are you interested in 7-string basses, but also in unconventionally narrow string spacing. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, could, and have, argued the above characteristics themselves are for guitars and not real basses. The SR7-blahblah has those (probably narrower spacing than you had in mind, but where do you draw the line? and who draws the line?) and it's a short-scale: but so are many basses, including some with a low B (the 5-string Ibanez Mikro springs to mind, and its scale is even shorter - 28.6"), and no one argues they're not real basses. Well, some do, unfortunately.
    Can we banish narrow-mindedness at least from a thread about narrow-spaced seven-stringers? :cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    that SR7VIISC has 30.3" scale, so as HaphAsSard said, it is longer than Mikro, which undoubfully considered as short scale bass.

As you can read from other posters, compared to the available mass product 7 string normal / long scale basses, the BTB7 with 15.5 mm string spacing might be the narrowest.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Well, not that it really matters anyway: it's discontinued as you pointed out, and it was made in a limited series = super-rare... :/

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    All you'd really have to do is replace the bridge with a narrower one. Like a 7 string guitar bridge. Or cram individual string bridges together as close as possible.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Yup, I'm planning to get the cheapest used 5-string bass I can find and use it as a prototype for a later build/mod; I *think* I can live with a very narrow spacing at the nut - I'll probably spend little time down there - but I may be wrong and would need to spend some time with it and see what I like.

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Converting a 5 to a 7 is going to be wayyyy tight at the nut. Definitely draw it out and measure before buying.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  15. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    blob.
    My Zdressy is 16mm at the bridge.

16. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    One of these was at my local GC last year!!! The short scale took some getting used to, but if I would have had the $$$ I would have bought it for the tone, it sounded awesome - and played great too! However, I'm going to stick with 'normal' scale lengths and string widths as it was pretty tight to play on.
    I had contemplated converting my Douglas sixer into a seven string, but after playing it and having it painted I'm going to leave it as-is. Working on getting a Conklin GT7 right now.

IMO a 6 to 7 conversion would be a good project, if you found the right donor instrument.

Raz

HaphAsSard likes this.
  17. Is this one?

Attached Files:

18. Nice one, I have same 20161228_153752.

tlc1976 likes this.
  19. zz10-dff5.

My Cliff Bordwell 32" scale 7 string with 17mm bridge spacing.

BassmanM and Bennie12003 like this.
  20. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Step this way,gentlemen!The Official 7-String Bass Club.

spade2you likes this.