Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow Neck Fives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tony moore, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I'm in the market for a narrow neck 5 string, preferably something in the vintage vein.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tony

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    G&L L5000, Guild Pilot 5....Yamaha made something too but I can't remember the model #

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Do you have a reference point for what narrow is? I have a lakland 55-01 that i think has a pretty sweet neck on it and it's not wide at all (read" not wide to me IME of other basses). If you're interested in getting your hands on one, PM me.

4. I love Lakland's, but the neck just gets toooooo wide further up the neck. I'm hoping for something around 1.75-1.8" at the nut and maybe 2.5-2.75" at the heel.

Is that G&L the model with the funky 80's looking headstock?

Thanks,

Tony

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    most of them including the one I used to own, had a headstock that looked like a sickle. Unlike any other G&L. I have seen a picture of one with the regular G&L headstock but I'm wondering if it wasn't fitted with another neck. Keep in mind they only made 400 of them so finding one will be a little difficult. Sure wish I still had mine. I see them pop up on ebay from time to time.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Carvin LB 75. 1.75" at the nut, 2.75" at the heel. 17mm string spacing. Lightning fast ebony fretboard. Slim profile. Buy them used, you can't go wrong!

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm a cheap SOB and only like skinny necks (G&L, Reverend and Godin) but have tried a couple of 5's and found these:

Steinberger Spirit XZ-25, XT-25 -- cheap but truly 1-5/8" wide at the nut. I'm thinking another may be in my future. I prefer the XZ with the more normal body. It's got a satin neck (as opposed to painted), is bolt-on and hangs more normally.

Fernandes Retrospect 5X -- discontinued Chinese-made jazz clone that is also 1-5/8" at the nut. Had one, it played reasonably well and I sold it to a previous drummer. These pop up on ebay occasionally.

Steinberger narrow 5 - these are expensive (and fairly rare). 5 strings on a Steinberger 4 neck. I don't know that much about them, never had one but they might be considered vintage (the 80s was over 20 years ago).

As a side note the Rondos that say 1-5/8" for the 5-string nut width may/probably have cut-and-pasted copy from the 4-string descriptions. Double-check with them before ordering (I had to cancel an order when my double-check came back letting me know the 5-string nut width was actually 1-13/16 or something like that instead of 1-9/16).

8. They're hard to find, but Warwick made a model called the Fortress Flashback. All of the ones I've seen on the 'net are 4 strings...except mine is a 5 string. Mine came with a 2Tek bridge, a cool pearloid pickguard, and passive chrome "lipstick" pickups. Vintage looks and a great sound, plus the neck is narrow like I prefer...

If you can find one, try it!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When you say narrow neck, Tony, do you mean narrow string spacing or the neck size itself? If you mean narrow string spacing, my favorite is the Stingray 5. It has pretty narrow spacing, but I find it super comfortable and very easy to slap. The G&L L-2500 (USA & Tribute) have pretty narrow string spacing too and sound a little more vintage also. Finally, if you can find an old Yamaha BB5000, it has the classic P/J combination and narrow string spacing.

10. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Ken Smith