1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrow Range of Volume Controls on Stack-Knob Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADWolpert, Jan 26, 2018.

1. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Hey, All --

I love the overall tone of stack-knob-style Jazz basses. But I've owned two of them -- a '62 reissue from the '90s and now a Custom Shop one -- and in both cases (and even in others I've tried, too), I've found that slightly rolling off one pickup's volume control sounds the same as turning it off completely. It's like I've somehow got just three settings to work with: both pickups full on, neck, or bridge -- instead of being able to access the colors in-between by favoring one pickup just a little bit more than the other. Has anyone else experienced this? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

TIA

Alan

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Most passive J basses, stack or 3 knob, work that way, in my experience.

3. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Would anybody else like to weigh in on this? Is it really true that when it comes to blending the two pickups on a passive Jazz Bass, the volume controls don’t allow you to achieve subtle blends but are essentially acting as a glorified pickup selector switch with just 3 settings — neck, bridge or both? That’s been my experience with stack knobs, where rolling off a pickup’s volume just a little bit sounds the same as rolling it off completely in terms of blend, but I find it hard to believe that all passive J basses are like that. Thoughts?

TIA

Alan

4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    J pickups have 3 settings, full out, turn down 5% to change the tone but not the volume, or OFF.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021