Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow spaced 6 banger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saetia, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm in the market for a 6 stringer with narrow spacing, preferred lined fretless. Basically what would be some suggestions for me to check out for narrow 6'ers?
    Also what would any of you have to say about the Cort Curbow 6ers? maybe I'll just start another thread on that.

thanks
    peace
    -Ben

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A bassist friend uses a Carvin sixer (he also has two fours and a five, also by Carvin). Very narrow spacing on the sixer. Carvins are reasonably priced, and I've been impressed with the quality of the ones I've seen.

3. kmikey

kmikey

Jul 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I'm with him... the carvin is an excellent choice for a narrow 6, and you can "custom" order it to have lined fretless as well as many other "custom" features.

I've got a carvin LB76F (6 string fretless) and it is easily one of the greatest instruments I've ever played or owned. came out of the box exactly how i wanted it. never had to adjust the bridge or intonation or anything... it was just right, straight out of the box.

i also think warwick makes a fairly thin 6er, and Ibanez makes a thin one but good luck finding a lined fretless version... i suppose you could buy one and yank the frets and fill them...

finally, the cort curbow is junk, IMO.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'd second Warwick. Their necks are thick, but narrow. Pretty small string spacing on the 6's, and you can custom order the "lined fretless" option from them. Or look at Basscentral... they have tons of Warwick goodies!:D

:bassist:

5. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    The curbows are narrow, but NOT thin (on the six). They aren't especially wide, but the carvin is a better option for that.
    EDIT:
    Hi I'm an idiot.
    THe curbows are THIN but NOT NARROW.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I own a Warwick Corvette Standard 4, and the neck is thick, but has nice spacing, I also own a Peavey Accellerator 6 (as well as a few other bass'), which is reasonable spacing and has a thin neck, the only problem I have with it is the Low B, its a bit flaccid. I'm really making the desition to move over to 6 full time or stick with 4. I'm thinking I'm going to go the 6 string route and I love the sound and playability of fretless but feel I'm not ready for an unlined board. I've been looking into Carvin for some time, the only draw back is I cannot test them out, maybe if I find someone in my area who owns one, but I'd have to call up Bill and see if he has sold to anyone in my area. As for Warwick, I love the tone they get, the growl, the punch, my 4 is passive and I love the passive sound as well. Thanks for the help, any more additional knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
    peace
    -Ben

7. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    Maybe a used John Myung RBX6...
    Maybe...

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yammer Myung is really narrow, and I hear the Fernandes basses are pretty freaking narrow as well.