Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow-spaced six strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amper, Mar 29, 2005.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    For some reson, I've been thinking about getting a six string bass. I'd like to fool around with a narrow-spaced instrument, like the standard Warwick's (with their 16.5mm spacing at the bridge and 52mm nut). I love Warwick's, and will probably end up with a Corvette Standard 6, but I was wondering if there's anything else out there with a similar spacing?

Normally, I would prefer something more along the lines of a 19mm spacing, but for what I have in mind, I think that the narrower spacing will work better.

2. the yamaha john myung signature bass has quite narrow spacing

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Hmm, I don't see anything on line that talks about the spacing of the JM's. How narrow do you think it is? What would you compare it to?

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Peavey's Fury line of 6-strings has narrow spacing. Very easy to play neck for faster runs. Looks, feels, and sounds like a pricier bass too.

If you want the ultimate in narrow spacing, there is the Samick Fairlane 6- no other factory bass I can think of, or have tried has a neck as narrow as this one. 2.00" wide at nut (common, though some 6s have a 2.125" nut width) but only 3.1" wide at the 22nd fret (most sixers have a 3.25" heel width) and total string spacing at the bridge is about 3" from the B to the C.

Of course, the latter's neck would be considered too narrow by most of the 6-string populace, but it seems to fit my hands perfectly.

5. Ibanez SR3006e is what you want.
    :bassist:

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    My Washburn XB-600 has 15mm spacing at the bridge. I'm quite happy with it now it's been defretted but, for the things I want to do on a fretted bass, I'm happier with the 18mm spacing on my six string Sei bass.

Wulf

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Cirrus. You'd really dig it if the narrow thing is you.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    and I'm gonna be the standard shill for the Modulus Quantum 6. It's quickly becoming my favorite bass of all time, even beating out some great 4s.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Wow...I'm not alone! I always felt like I was the only guy that liked narrower spacings, since I usually hear guys bitchin' about 5's that are too tight. Well, yeah I don't actually have a 6, but the spacing aspect of this thread grabbed me. All my 5's have 16.5mm spacing (which I guess is what, .65"?), which I love. My piccolo (sig line) is even tighter, tho obviously the strings are a lot smaller...duh. My main 5 at work has a 1.65" nut and 2.7" heel (22nd fret). I've had a tough time with pickups, since I like exposed poles, but I ended up getting custom Aeros in my main 5. I used the basslines 67/70's before, but the poles were misaligned. Seemed only to be a visual thing tho, I couldn't really detect a diff.

As far as I can tell, I've got normal-sized hands, but I've always prefered a tighter spacing; I feel like I can control the instrument better.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Hmmmm .... could that reason be that you hang around this forum :confused: :confused: :D :D TB is like a 6 string mind control trap .... it snared me pretty darn quick :eyebrow:
    Hey, go for it, you won't regret it!

Oh, yeah, I 2nd the Cirrus recommendation .. nice and tight..

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I also like the narrower spacing... my reccomendation, of course, will be Spector. I love 'em :D

Ray

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're playing chords the narrow spacing is very nice.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin 6-strings have 16 mm spacing. This is just a tad narrow for me. I'm discovering that 19 mm is too wide.

14. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    all my customs have 15mm spacing. It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

15. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    What did you use for bridges? I ended up getting the Hipshots that Carvin sells, but to get one in chrome, I had to have Hishot custom make it.

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1, you got here before I did.

The Cirrus is fairly tight; IIRC, the actual spec is 17mm.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I second that- I liek teh narrow spacing Spector offers- very conducive to speedy playing and tapping.

Those Ric 6-stringers are also hella-tight spaced! ;)

18. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I have RMC indvidual Bridges in my Conklin's. My Ralph has an old Gotoh bridge. There are some large pics on my website, in case you want to take a look.

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Get a Cirrus. They're amazing! :bassist: