1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Narrow Spacing 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NioeZero, Oct 23, 2002.

1. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm curious as to the (general) average spacing of most 6 string necks.

I'm looking for the narrowest possible spacing.

Pics, if possible.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you're looking for narrow, 5/8ths works pretty well.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I think alot of people will tell you that the Yamaha John Myung signature bass has very narrow spacing for a 6 string - so much so that it has put alot of people off!

4. Yup, the Yamaha John Myung sig 6er has very tight string spacing. I had trouble playing it it was so tight. You may find you love it, but it wasn't for me. If you get a chance try one out. Other than the spacing and the inlay, it was a pretty darn good bass.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I played a couple of 6 strings yesterday. A gibson era Tobias, a Yamaha (forget the model), a Spector (bolt-on), and a Peavey Cirrus. I also own a Carvin 6 string. The Yamaha was the widest and the Spector was the second widest. The Tobias, Cirrus, and my Carvin are all pretty close and definitely tighter spaced than the other two. I played an Alembic 6 many years ago that was also quite wide, but I believe they make some fairly narrow ones now. There is some cheap brand that you see for sale on Ebay that appears to be very tight - I believe the name is Brice, but I'm not positive.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    didnt measure, but i remember a Modulus Q6 i had being spaced ridiculously tight- i had a hard time with it- thats the tighest 6 ive ever held- except maybe for a Start- but yuckk!! i dont touch those nasty , cootie ridden guitars!!:eek:

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am curious why you want such narrow spacing; do you play with a pick ?

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Well, I have one Yamaha John Myung for sale for around $550

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Warwick is 16.5 mm. Or just a hair more than 5/8". Most that I have played are in that range.

10. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    to comment on the Modulus Q6 spacing...I bought one 2 weeks ago and the spacing is no different than my old Ibanez 405 ~ 17 mm on center. That's pretty normal for 5's and 6's. I have no problems pulling off slapping and open hammer plucks. But I guess it's whatever you're used to.

11. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently traded my Smith 6 for a Roscoe 6. I sold the Roscoe to a friend and bought a Q6. The Modulus does have a more narrow neck than some other 6's and that, and the tone, is why I wanted it. My bass works just fine for all styles but I do have to pay attention when I slap on it.

Chuck

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm thinking of trading my smith myself ; for s smith fretless 6 if anyone is listening !

when i switched from 4 to 6 i had a hell of a time popping and slapping. of course i had been popping and slapping on the same p bass for 17 years so i was a litle behind the learnng curve, nonetheless i to must still pay close attention when i slap on my smith 6 - tho i do not do that much slapping anymore.:D