Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow Spacing 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NioeZero, Oct 23, 2002.

1. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm curious as to the (general) average spacing of most 6 string necks.

I'm looking for the narrowest possible spacing.

Pics, if possible.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you're looking for narrow, 5/8ths works pretty well.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I think alot of people will tell you that the Yamaha John Myung signature bass has very narrow spacing for a 6 string - so much so that it has put alot of people off!

4. Yup, the Yamaha John Myung sig 6er has very tight string spacing. I had trouble playing it it was so tight. You may find you love it, but it wasn't for me. If you get a chance try one out. Other than the spacing and the inlay, it was a pretty darn good bass.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I played a couple of 6 strings yesterday. A gibson era Tobias, a Yamaha (forget the model), a Spector (bolt-on), and a Peavey Cirrus. I also own a Carvin 6 string. The Yamaha was the widest and the Spector was the second widest. The Tobias, Cirrus, and my Carvin are all pretty close and definitely tighter spaced than the other two. I played an Alembic 6 many years ago that was also quite wide, but I believe they make some fairly narrow ones now. There is some cheap brand that you see for sale on Ebay that appears to be very tight - I believe the name is Brice, but I'm not positive.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    didnt measure, but i remember a Modulus Q6 i had being spaced ridiculously tight- i had a hard time with it- thats the tighest 6 ive ever held- except maybe for a Start- but yuckk!! i dont touch those nasty , cootie ridden guitars!!:eek:

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am curious why you want such narrow spacing; do you play with a pick ?

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Well, I have one Yamaha John Myung for sale for around $550

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Warwick is 16.5 mm. Or just a hair more than 5/8". Most that I have played are in that range.

10. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    to comment on the Modulus Q6 spacing...I bought one 2 weeks ago and the spacing is no different than my old Ibanez 405 ~ 17 mm on center. That's pretty normal for 5's and 6's. I have no problems pulling off slapping and open hammer plucks. But I guess it's whatever you're used to.

11. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently traded my Smith 6 for a Roscoe 6. I sold the Roscoe to a friend and bought a Q6. The Modulus does have a more narrow neck than some other 6's and that, and the tone, is why I wanted it. My bass works just fine for all styles but I do have to pay attention when I slap on it.

Chuck

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm thinking of trading my smith myself ; for s smith fretless 6 if anyone is listening !

when i switched from 4 to 6 i had a hell of a time popping and slapping. of course i had been popping and slapping on the same p bass for 17 years so i was a litle behind the learnng curve, nonetheless i to must still pay close attention when i slap on my smith 6 - tho i do not do that much slapping anymore.:D