Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrow String Spacing Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 4, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm now playing a bass with a much narrower string spacing than I am used to. Im used to Fenders 5 string spacing and have shrunk down to an Ibanez SR506 string spacing.

Slapping is still fairly easy for me, ocassionally I have a problem hitting the wrong string, but the string popping seems damn near impossable unless I use the C or G strings. Its like my fingers dont wanna go under the right string.

Im not used to this. Ive been practicing scales and such on it for now to get a grasp for the board, but my left and right hands are jumping strings, like if Im playing a G maj scale, Ill find my hands going to the G string instead of the D. Its really pissing me off.

Im fairly confident that with more practice this will eventually stop. Im just not used to feeling like a rank amature anymore. After 20 years I feel I shouldnt have these problems. Are there any techniques that will expidite the problem? Im also finding that do to the gerth of the massive neck that the one finger per fret isnt working for me anymore.

Sorry just need to rant.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hang in there, it will come. I remember the first time I played a Modulus Quantum, I fell in love, and I just had to have one. I thought the string spacing might be a problem, but the concern wasn't enough to stop me from ordering a custom Q5 with a walnut top. When I first got the bass, I played it everyday for a week. At the end of the week I was feeling discouraged with my inability to cross strings without going to far and skipping. I took the bass back and expressed my concerns to Lee (the bass place). He was cool about it and said I could return it if I wanted to. He also told me to be patient with the bass, that if I really liked the tone and the bass wasn’t hurting me, to keep working at it. I left the bass there and took home several basses over the next two weeks (four to be exact). At the end of those two weeks I had to have my Modulus back. I took my Modulus home and kept working at it and now I am used to it. On the flipside, every other bass I play seems too wide ;) . But it is easier to adjust to wide string spacing than it is to narrow (for me anyway) Just thought I would share my experience with you, hang in there bud.