Narrow Tall Frets and String action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sean150, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    So I am trying to determine if the issue I have with my AM Pro Jazz is a setup issue or if it is just that I am not bonding with it. The issue seems to be around the frets which are really noisy when I dig in a bit. The action is not extremely low (it was set up by the tech at the store I bought it at so I am assuming it is Fender spec) but I am wondering if it is common to have to raise action higher with Narrow Tall frets?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    No. Every fret has a top and every neck's frets can be leveled properly. There isn't enough info in your post to confirm the issue. However, I will put these ideas out there:
    • When players "dig in", that can mean that they are playing with a more aggressive style than normal. The harder you play the strings, the more room the strings need to vibrate. This means a higher action is needed, generally speaking.
    • If you really want to know if there is something going on with your bass and do not have the experience of doing setup work, then you may want to take your bass to another luthier/technician for a second opinion.

Sean150 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Do a search on setups as well...string choice is another topic.

Sean150 likes this.
  4. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Thanks for the replies. Reading them I realize I know how to fix this.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022