Narrow Tall Frets

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Arnold Brian, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Arnold Brian

Arnold Brian

Nov 2, 2020
    My 2012 Fender American Standard JBass is my #1 (black, mint green pickguard, CS 60's pups, rosewood fretboard, medium jumbo frets). I play almost exclusively 3-digit finger-style. Recently, I demoed a 2019 Am Professional JBass at a local shop. My first impression of the narrow tall frets was that they were strange and obtrusive. But the more I played, the more I realized that the intonation was superb, my fills were faster and cleaner, the rare bend was easier, but my slides sounded choppy. Strangely, I can't stop thinking about it - such a different feel than the medium jumbos. I'm conflicted; whether to add the newer Am.Pro to the collection. I haven't concluded whether I love 'em or hate those narrow tall frets. Does anyone have similar comparisons and observations?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I haven't tried one. I just swung by to say Welcome to TalkBass!!!

3. Arnold Brian

Arnold Brian

Nov 2, 2020
    Thank you!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021