Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrowed down my 5's...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Ok...I am down to 3 different 5-strings. I am looking for medium level ($400-700), and these are the 3 I am trying to decide between:
    Yamaha RBX765A
    Ibanez EDB605
    Fender MIM Jazz-V
    All 3 feel good in my hands. I play rock/hard rock, fingerstyle, but not really a slapper. Waddaya think?
    :)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd go with the Yamaha. All 3 are great choices, so you can't go wrong. IMO, it seems you get a little more for your money w/the Yamaha. Nice transparent finish, gold hardware, 24 frets (compared to Fender).

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Very personal taste :

- Yamaha : active, but a bit "classic"
    - Ibanez : active, and more "modern"
    - Fender : very "classic", but passive

Despite of the 5-year warranty on Fender, I'd rather trust an Ibanez in the long term...

The MIM Fender bodies are made of poplar (nearly the wood you make crates with... :D ). However, I'm sure that some long-time MIM Fender users here will testify that they are much more reliable than what I believe...

I don't like Yamaha's...

All the best,

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Don't be a poplar hater! :) Mike Tobias of MTD fame uses poplar on some of his basses with very good results. I would probably go with the Yamaha or the Fender.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you ought to try them all out and decide which one you want to "take to the prom."

Don't rely on us in the TB peanut gallery. Lord knows, we are often after different tones and use different amps for what we actually hear.

If you can't try them out in The Twin Cities, at least insist on the right to return whichever you choose to order.

6. Well, you aint gonna have wood problems with that Ibanez are you, seein as its made out of that plastic stuff. I dont like the plastic stuff, so NO on the Ibanez. Passive 5-String, no-thanky-you, so nope on the Fender. I have a Yamaha, I'm pleased with it. I'd go with that even though I dont like the RBX body shape.

PEACE

sim

7. ultramangeos:

hey, i am selling my MIM Jazz V, didnt list it here as I'm trying to sell it locally so I don't have to ship it, but if you're interested email me and we can talk. I listed it locally for $350 - I bought it in November so its practically brand new - with a case.

8. Ya know, a Lakland Skyline 55-01 can be had for around $700. Definitely worth a look.

9. Hmmm Lakeland. I do not think I have ever even seen one of those. I will have to check into that one. Ya' know, I am a fender guy, I like the looks of the Jazz and the P, but there is something weird about the looks of the Jazz-5. Not very "rockin". I think the other 2 definately look more modern. Someone mentioned the wood on the Yamaha, I also agree that it is very nice looking. Especially in the translucent red. And the Ibanez has that kind of...how do I put it..."Fieldy" look to it;)

10. rickbass

SOUND, sound, sound!!!! No band accepts you, no club owner pays you, because your bass is pretty.

Just don't get distracted.

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In a certain matter, and without minimizing JT's musical work in Lord Only (as far as I could hear, he DOES huge work in the band), don't you think that his extravagant Conklins are somewhat an integral part of the show ?

All the best,

12. These are only opinions, Ultramangeos has to make the decision in the end. I agree with Nino. I own both a MIM Fender and a Yamaha in the same price range. I feel that Yamaha gives you just a little more for your money. An example?

The washers holding down the tuning machines on my MIM are not completely flush with the headstock; not a major deal, but, on the Yamaha they're secured with nuts. :)

And

The Yamaha's pickups are absolutely silent when both are on full; the Fender's are noisy.(single coil hum) Now, the Yamaha has a different sound than the Fender, so I'm not going to get into that, but, if you played these basses blindfolded, I think a lot of people would be surprised to find they'd pick the Yamaha. I also just bought a Yamaha Telecaster copy, the PAC 402s, this thing is so nice.
    $249.00 from M/F and it's got a top on it that looks like a Les Paul top. And, for the second time, I bought an instrument without ever playing it. I have a lot of faith in Yamaha.

Just my spin. Good luck.
    Mike J.

13. rickbass

Jay - Your point is well taken.

However, I'm pretty sure John realizes where his true value is. I think exotic gear only gets you a few gigs. If you don't have the sound and you can't play what gets people moving, you won't get many repeat gigs. Instead, you'll just have to keep looking for new prey who are stunned by your instruments.

Moreover, most of the audience doesn't care or notice if you have 34 strings stretched over a body of black turu palm pommele and bookmatched, waterfall-figured Brazilian rosewood. Under those rows of colored lighting cans, natural woods get washed out anyway.

I'm pretty sure John realizes the woods and the doublenecks are mainly there for his pleasure. He's too deep into the music to use cosmetics as his calling card.

14. The MTD Kingston 5 and the Yamaha are the best 5-strings in that price range IMO. I have MAJOR GAS for the Kingston. :D

15. Yamaha, active..."classic"...what does that mean?

I've known Yamaha's to be ultra-modern sounding. What does classic mean? :confused: :) :confused:

16. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I mean that (once again : in my very personal taste) the concept of the Yamaha by itself is classic. There's no real innovation in a Yamaha RBX765A. Take a closer look at it, and you'll see it's nothing more than a more-or-less-JB-like-bass with a slightly different shape and active electronics as standard.

The concept of the Ibanez Ergodyne is, IMHO, a bit more adventurous, and I like that.

All the best,

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'm considering a Fender Standard Jazz Bass V myself. Something about "that tone", I guess.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you are looking for a nice 5 for cheap, cheap, cheap, by all means try out a kingston 5. These things are great. I'm trying to justify buying one, but I keep buying USA Curbows. :D

19. I'd have to say go for either the Fender or the Yamaha. But, I have never played a 5 strng Fender in that price range that was really worth the money. Once you get into the high end models, the Roscoe Beck in particular, they get better. Thats just my opinion though. I have never played an Ibanez I liked... ever. Not a single one. But again, thats just my opinion. In that price rance, I'd go with the Yamaha. I love my Yamaha 5 string. It's not the RBX, it's the BBG. But You really can't go wrong with the Yammers. From entry level to high end, they have great quality across the board.

If you were asking about 4 strings, I think I'd endorse the Fender.

but like the others said, try them out and find which one is best for you.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    First of all, I agree on the Kingston. Great bass for very little money. Second, I have one for sale! Check the items for sale BB!