1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrowed down the DMA Search.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Adam Booker, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    In another thread I asked the panel to discuss Jazz DMA programs. I have now narrowed my search to the following schools, in no particular order. What I would like is to hear from fellow TB'ers that are enrolled, have been enrolled, or even just hanging out getting drunk near any of these schools. Thanks guys!

NEC
    USC (Cali, not Carolina)
    UC Boulder
    UI Champ/Urbana
    Eastman

UT Austin is also on the list, but I live and work in Austin already and am good friends with a lot of the faculty.

Love to hear from all of you.
    Thanks again!

2. dkziemann

dkziemann Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    I go to Eastman right now as a Jazz Bass Performance major (freshman). There are a ton of playing opportunities, and Jeff's a great teacher- he doesn't force anything on you, but you tell him what you want to work on and he tells you what he thinks you need to work on too. He's a great teacher. Definitely check it out

3. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Thanks Dzeik! I forgot to mention that Manhattan New School is on the list as well.

4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I went to NEC, and the experience changed my life. I think that UIUC and UC-Boulder will offer a different type of experience than the one you will get at NEC, Eastman, MSM, and USC. Which type of school is more suitable for you depends on where you've come from so far and where you want to be after the program; my best advice would be to answer that last question and let it guide you. If you want to end up in New York and live that jazz life, go for MSM; if the LA scene calls to you, go to USC. It's hard to overstate the usefulness of going to school in the major city you hope to settle in; I felt this distinctly after going to school in Boston and then moving to NYC.

5. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Thanks Jeremy. In all honesty, I want to stay in Texas for personal reasons (family, etc.) but the enrollment rate at UT is pretty slow these days. So it became a matter of "If I have to leave my son for two years, which school is going to have the greatest musical impact and the best education possible?" The faculty at USC is chock full of A list guys, as well as the NEC crew. I looked at IU but there doesn't seem to be a jazz specific DMA there. All told, I would prefer to be in a city that I can perform in, as well as learning under a faculty that will kick my a$$. Any insight is appreciated!

6. dkziemann

dkziemann Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Have you figured it out yet?

7. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Sorry to hash up an old thread of mine, but I figured I'd let ya'll know, I got accepted to the UT Austin DMA Jazz program for next fall. I'd like to keep the discussion going on good schools for jazz though. A lot of younger guys here could benefit from knowing what's up in academia! The journey to get into a program really made me kick my own a$$ as far as playing goes.