1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrowed down to 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 2, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    The GK Fusion 550/ MB Fusion 500, Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine. Which of these 3/4 Heads will likely give me the warmest, deepest, punchiest tone/sound using a 2x15 (or 2 1x15's) cab. I'd like to hear from guys/girls? that actually own or Have owned one or more of these heads; or even if you've ever tried one or more of them out. I play Funk/Slap (Louis Johnson), Classic Rock(Geddy Lee, JPJ-Zepp.), 70's R&B (Verdine White), and yes, Heavy Metal (Chris Barnes, Cliff Burton) as well....(not as much... anymore) Haaaaa!! Anyway, a little help/advice/direction guys, Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried the MB Fusion 500, 7 Pro and the M6. GK to me has never been about warm and deep, they're more about tightness and preciseness, and the Fusion 500 was more of the same in micro form, albeit not quite to the same level as their traditional SS heads. The M6 is a weird one to me. It's got this really super edgy and tight high end response that borders on the offensive (to me, anyway) and the tone stack wasn't quite as intuitive as I'm used to, but I was able to mellow it out a little and it didn't sound half bad. Had some warmth mixed in to that edginess. I go back and forth with the 7 Pro and 4 Pro as my favorite non-all-tube Ampeg amps. The 4 Pro is tighter than the 7 Pro, but the 7 Pro has a sound that reminds me of a tube Ampeg being ever so slightly pushed into the red, and I really dig that, while the 4 Pro has a tightness comparable to a tube amp running very clean with plenty of headroom, and I like that, too. The 7 Pro's not distorted or anything (though you can crank the gain and get some grind if you want), but it's a feel that tube amps get when they get to that point just before you can hear audible distortion. Picking one up in a couple months, as a matter of fact. Just waiting for a new shipment to arrive.

I do endorse Ampeg so I'm obviously biased, but I also think I'm correct that it's the warmest of the bunch. But they're all good quality choices, and if you were using any of them and your sound wasn't happening, I wouldn't blame the amp ;)

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hmmmm? Funny you should say that ( the last part about " not blaming the amp"). Right now all I have is a AMPEG BA 115 tiltback hundred watt combo. I absolutely love this amp, but I need more power which is why my very first choice was the 7 Pro. The very first chance I got to try one out, I was Sooooo disappointed in the sounds I was and wasn't getting out of this head! (It was going through an Ampeg 4x10). It was Sooooo trebley(?) and ? harsh sounding, I couldn't get a deep, warm, punchy sound out of that thing to save my life; I was sort of heartbroken, I really wanted to like that amp ( this was at ONE Guitar Center). I went to another GC a few miles away sometime later and tried it out again switching back and fourth between a GK NEO 4x10 and a Ampeg 4x10 with MUCH better results ( the Ampeg cab blew the GK away BTW). They also had a GK 1001RBll I was A/B(ing) w/ the 7 Pro; the 7 Pro sounded much better this time, but the GK sounded better to me BUT, the GK sounded too ? Sterile, there was no warmth to be found anywhere; loud yes, punchy yes but too Damned clean and bright. So my search continues...

4. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I think the first time I tried the 7 Pro, it must've been connected incorrectly ( I was like, this CAN'T be all this amp has to offer!!)

5. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    I use an Ampeg SVT 7pro + Barefaced Super 15 cab. I agree with Jimmy's tonal take of the beforementioned amps. My other favorite is the GB Streamliner. These are the only 2 heads i own currently and care for tonally. They are probably the thickest, warmest sounding class D heads.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I'm going to have to try that 7 pro again for a third time because thick and warm was the last things I could get out of that head. Trust me, I REALLY want to like that amp, my combo ampeg sounds so good.

7. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Don't engage ultra high/low, set the gain on 9-12o'clock or possibly more(depending on how much push you want to feel from the tube). Leave the bass/mid/treble at 12o'clock. Dial a little compression if required and go from there. Turn up the master to desired level. If u feel it's too trebly or mid driven than pull those back or add more if lacking. Want more heft?, dial in more bass. Also the 1-5 selector goes from around 200hz upwards increasing to higher mid freq. Basically going from thick thump to more defined hifi mids. Hope this helps.

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. Of those four, I've owned/gigged GK products for years and lately the MB500(not the tube version but very very similar by all reports) and Mesa M6. The M6 is anything but warm. It's extremely deep and bright, with a low end that I found difficult to manage. SO deep and full, it can overwhelm. The upper-mids are RIGHT THERE and can be tough after awhile IMO. Not a whole lot going on in the low-mids, which bummed me out and made me eventually sell. The EQ isn't what you're probably used to(essentially Fender style) and isn't entirely intuitive but it does work well. But a super powerful head. Sick, really. Almost too much. GREAT amp but not my thing.
    The GK has a similar upper midrange brightness going on but, GK has been at this tone for a very long time and I think they've got it really dialed in. Much more musical than the Mesa IMO, cutting while sounding 'nice' without ever hurting your ears. Deep low-end(deeper than the RB series), but not as deep and rattling as the Mesa which for me is a good thing. This helps to allow the excellent and present GK low-mids to shine and give real body and punch to your tone without rattling the stage too much.
    I have no experience with Ampeg products but have been led to believe that their 'money' tone is different than these- more even, less bright and less deep- more 'middle of the road' but excellent in it's own way.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    madjazzbass likes this.
  9. All of this will depend on the cab you pick.

No one component of your rig dictates your sound 100%. The most important of which, is your hands.

madjazzbass likes this.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own and have gigged with all four of those heads. The 7Pro is the most warm/round of the bunch, and I agree with Jimmy that it does a great job of making you think it might be an all tube head. The GK's and the M6 share the same relative frequency response curve when set with all controls to noon, and all three of them feel bigger and deeper down low than the 7Pro (which is no slouch in the lows). These three have more "harmonic excitement" (the GKs perhaps a tad more than the Boogie) and they are all very clear and articulate. The Fusion 550 has just a touch more heft through the mids than the MB Fusion 500. The 7Pro has the most full and meaty midrange of the bunch.

All of them are great options, and as others have said, the interplay between your hands/bass/effects/amp/cab(s) will have a huge impact on which head might work the best for you.

madjazzbass and CL400Peavey like this.
  11. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I have no experience at all with the Genz-Benz amps, I don't even know where I could go try one out in my area (Nth.Jersey). As far as the barefaced cabs go,( totally different thread) I've heard nothing but positive things about them.