Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrowed it down to 2...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Supernova67, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    after great consideration i've narrowed my next bass down to these 2, tho i'm sure with the clever input of my fellow tbers that number will soon rise once again.

ESP DF404 -($700) 35" scale, Mahogany body, 5-pc. maple-walnut neck, Rosewood fingerboard, , EMG 35-DC active pickups, Volume, balance, EMG B64 active EQ electronics, and 24 frets.

I considered this because i'm going looing for something thats rather claypool-esque, but can still sound good for other things (funk, jazz, light rock, etc.)

Ibanez SR500-($520) 34" scale, mahogany body, 5 peice wenge/bubinga neck, rosewood fingerboard, Bartolini MK-1 pickups and Bartolini MK-1 3-band pre

This bass i really like because of the much lower price tag, tighter string spacing and how it looks. the only problem is i have never played this bass and am worried i wont be able to get smooth funky sounds along with some growl at the turn of a nob.

Which do you think would be better for the sound i'm looking for and would be most reliable and durable overall? also any alternative suggestions are welcome.

p.s. i have played and do not like both the spector legend series, and varying laklands

2. Heh, I'm glad you mentioned that you're not into Spector or Lakland instruments, but you should've been a bit more broad and mentioned other forum mainstays like Geddy Lee's and so on... I digress though.

Basically, I've played both and I happen to be a huge pro-Ibanez player. However... having played the SR505, I know, it's not the same, but it's really not that different, and honestly I can say that I was unimpressed.

The Bartolini's thump but it's in a very boomy sort of way. I suppose they lack definition, but I do not work for Dolby, so I cannot really tell you what high definition sounds like. They also produced a really thin sound when the bass was cut and the treb. was boosted. The mids also gave a bump in volume, but no real flare to the mids, which I found strange.

The feel was good, as to be expected of Ibanez instruments, but the sound really did not do much for me personally.

Hm...

In your situation, I'd say make sure to try the Ibanez and not just go by what the forum lurkers suggest, even that is a little counterintuitive considering I'm posting this... besides, if we listened to the majority of the board, we'd all play Sadowskys.