Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrowed it down to 3 basses: Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dstranathan, Jun 1, 2003.

1. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    Which entry-level bass would you buy? (you must pick one of these):

1) ESP LTD B104 (thin, flat necks are cool. Is the LTD sub-brand too cheap?)

http://espguitars.com/html/b-104.html

2) Ibanez SR300DX (active electronics! I'm not sure why Ibanez has so many brands of basses...)

http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR300DX

3) Spector NS-2000B, or Performer Series (killer hardware and an "elite" brand name)

http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles...anceseries.html

All are bolt-on's. All are 4-string basses. All are fairly cheap ($300-$500), so I can beat it up a bit and not cry. All come in black. :0)

I use solid-state amps usually with 10" or 15" speakers. I use no effects except distortion sometimes.

The music I will play on the chosen bass is a modern, progressive rock style with post-punk influences. I hate to use the word metal or alternative, but I fit in there somewhere I think.

Shellac, Jesus Lizard, Voi Vod, Hot Snakes, Slint, Big Black, Thin Lizzy, COC, Bitch Magnet, Pitchfork, Rapeman, No Means No, Codeine, Gastr Del Sol, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, DJ Krush, Johnny Cash, Slayer, Public Enemy, MDC, etc. I like a lot of stuff..

2. hmmm... before i'd buy any of those i'd consider THIS

tabu

[​IMG]

but if I had to pick one of those three, probably the ESP :meh:

3. [​IMG]

4. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    Huh?

(I didn't mean cool like "cool", I mean cool like "I love thin, flat, fast necks".

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. I'd vote for Spector too.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd vote for Spector - simply because I've had a few! Never had an Ibanez, and the only ESP LTD I have is a guitar (which is a real nice guitar!)

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the ESP personally. I HATE Ibanez and I don't particularly like Spectors.

But the question is what do you like?

9. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm gonna have to go with the Spector, I like a more punchy, growl midrange sound to my own basses, but that's the best one out of the lot overall. They play really nice and the upper end one's are great. If I had to chose myself, I would get the Spector.

10. Ibanez. unless you really really like the spector. go with the 400 not the 300.

11. Spector. No matter what kind of bass you need, my answer is always Spector.:D