Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Narrowed It Down.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Jul 22, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Well I finnally played almost all the basses I could from Warwick,Zon,Modulus,Spector,G&L,FBass,Wal and even a Sadowsky(the sadowsky was sold). So heres the three final choices that I'm going to make for my new bass.

Spector 4-string Blue Stain Czech Republic
    Spector 4-string Black Oil USA Bolt On
    Modulus Quantum 5-string

Now I've played all these basses, and frankly they all play and suite my needs.And I can afford only one, (too bad I can't buy them all) I'm in two giging bands right now listed in these "types" music Jazz,Funk,Latin,Rock,BossaNova,Salsa. The other one I'm in is Metal/Hard Rock. So what would suite my playin needs more? Thanks for your respones.... :)

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dude dont even think about it any futher! Get the spector usa bolt on! Its twice the bass the euopean is! And its built by stu himself! And the warenty is life!

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :D:D:D

4. exactly. If he says get it, then get it. He knows.

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    so the usa bolt on ?

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think you can automatically rule out the czech-made spector. I'd go for the Modulus since its a 5 string which will give you more versatility, plus i just played a modulus quantum 4 and the graphite neck is incredible!!!!

7. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    okay so usa bolt on vs modulus quatum :)

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    The spector usa bolt on also has graphite rods in the neck to keep it straight~ The only thing dude if you get any spector make sure you get the optional aguailer stuff with it its like a extr 150 bucks!~

9. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea I but this one doesn't have the aguliar amp though :( so I'm ordering the modulus and posting pics as soon as I get my baby :) it has bart pups aswell and is super sweet :)

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    good choice. That neck won't let you down!
    m

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You really couldn't have gone wrong with any of those choices IMHO.

Congratulations on your choice.

IMHO if you get a Mod Barts are the only way to go for pickups.

12. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea barts are the best pickups out there inho as well

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I like the way EMGs sound on a modulus.

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I heard that there cold sounding though and only good for slap

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

EMGs have a modern, pretty bright almost harsh tone.

They make a wood bass cut through really well, but IMHO they make a composite neck bass too harsh and brittle.

Of course, your ears probably like different things than my ears do.:)

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I disagree. I as much as usually don't like EMGs, they sound good on the modulus basses I have played. I'm typical a passive Fender kind of guy, and while my modulus is more modern sounding I don't find it brittle sounding thru my rig.

The single coil EMGs I've tried on other jazzes and a modulus JV did sound brittle to me, so I think the double humbuckers are quite different.

Re: barts. I'm starting to think that Barts are a little overrated. I have one bass with them, and have had other basses with them. They always add this little bit of "darkness" to my ears. The output is kind of weak too, even with a preamp. They are okay, but I'm sure they aren't perfect for every bass, even though almost every high end maker seems to slap them on there. I did play a Q5 with the barts once and I preferred the sound of my Modulus with the EMGs.

My vote, go with a 5 modulus with emgs, or lane poors if you can find them.

17. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    thanks RS for your thoughts

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    hey bassman did you order it yet, or are you about to? Cause if you do, I think you should get EMG pups. I really dig their modern vibe. Make sure you post pictures!!

19. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    no I didn't order it yet. listening to your HO made me think hmmm Black Stone Modulus Quatum 5-string or ( not sure yet ) Quantum 5 -string with barts