1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrower (J-Bass Width) Neck for G&L L-2000 Changes Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADWolpert, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    I know that G&L offers options for necks of different widths, including a narrower J Bass 1.5 inch width, for the L-2000. But since the L2K's pickups have individual pole pieces that are presumably optimized for more of a P-Bass width neck, does the narrower neck change the tone? Do the strings still line up over the pole pieces?

Thanks,

Alan

2. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    I've owned L2Ks with 1.5" and 1.75" nut widths and did not notice a difference in tone.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Those pole pieces are big enough, and have a field large enough that alignment will not be a problem, even if it visually "looks" like the E and G are just a bit off from dead-center.

And, there are those that believe that a chunkier neck DOES offer a different inherent timbre to any instrument than a thinner neck. I've seen this, but other factors (like actually how RIGID the neck was) rather than sheer girth certainly are just as much in play.

So, yes a narrower neck with "different" mass/stiffness MAY affect tone. But string alignment over the pickups will probably NOT be the reason.

Mike A likes this.
  4. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Awesome answers, guys. Thanks.

5. Put the narrow rosewood neck of my G&L Lynx on my L2000 once and noticed no difference in sound.
    (Sold both a year ago).

6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    One of these has a 1-11/16" nut width and one has a 1-1/2" nut width. Can you tell which?

image.jpg image.jpg

7. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    The spacing does looks different, but I wouldn't presume to guess which one's which.

8. I'm one of those who prefers one spacing over another, but you're just splitting hairs at this point. If you're concerned about .25mm one way or the other, I suggest taking up drums.

Not meant to be (too) snarky.

9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Just FYI, the natural ash is 1-1/2" and the sunburst is 1-11/16".

10. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Immigrant, I'm not splitting hairs -- I just don't know anything about it, which is why I asked the question: Can even the small difference in string spacing alter the tone given the specific placement of individual pole pieces? I'm glad to hear that the answer is no.

Immigrant likes this.
  11. $0.02...

I wouldn't worry about strings lining up absolutely perfectly with the pole pieces. IMO, it's not relevant on any bass, but especially not important on an L-2000 with it's adjustable-height poles.

Mixed feelings about neck girth affecting tone. I know it seems that way sometimes, but maybe it's just imaginary. In the case of the L-2000, I would think its powerful elecs would simply override any such nuances. At least that's been my experience, every one I've had has sounded identical regardless of neck size, body wood, or fretboard wood (apart from the e-series ones, of course).

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Difference between the actual pieces of wood probably make more difference than the width.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    My 83' L2000 has the P-Bass neck width, but I've played one with the Jazz nut width, I couldn't hear any difference, but I actually liked the J nut width better. The neck flares to the same pocket width, so any difference in string spacing should be miniscule. Those pup magnets are STRONG.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021