1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrowing down my preamp upgrade, one final decision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FourBanger, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The SR400 PJ wiring upgrade plan is nearing finalization. I plan to use a 2 band active EQ, most likely the OBP-1 boost only with stacked knobs with a passive tone out front with a push/pull active/passive selection. Pickups will be passive.

I was initially planning to stick with Volume and Blend for the other two which matches how the bass is currently wired and what I am used to recently. However I have been reading about Sadowsky pres that have the similar setup of passive tone before active pre that the blend does not behave the way most people like or expect, not blending as much but dipping the signal from one pickup to the other rather abruptly.

Is that what I'm getting now with the stock EQ anyway or will it be more dramatic as how some complain in the case of the Sadowsky? When my PJs were passive I used VVT so the adjustment back won't be a deal breaker.

And thanks for the help along the way as I settle in on the final setup.

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    check out John East preamp... IIRC, John East gives lots of options where you can have all sorts of Vol, Blend, Active/Passive selection, Passive tone, and even a 4-band EQ, within only 4 knobs.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Thanks but the John East is not on the narrow list for this one.

Any thoughts on blend vs individual volumes in front of the two-band boost-only pre?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I had lived with Vol-Vol basses for almost 25 years and I've just had my 1st Vol-Blend bass no more than 2 years. But after that, all of my next (more than 1 pickups) basses are all Vol-Blend basses.

5. I do not believe the Aguilar has a buffered blend, meaning both pickups do not keep the same tone/volume as you pan. For this reason I would do Volume Volume, but I think I would use stacked pots and do Volume/Tone Volume/Tone for each pickup. This will allow you some high cut with the boost only pre and add more tonal options.