1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrowing down what strings to choose (Already have ideas, just want info)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RapierSix, Mar 6, 2008.

1. So I have grown tired of my current strings help me decide on what new ones to choose.

I play both a fender $10 P bass and fender 97' American Deluxe etc etc J bass and primarily use fingers instead of pics.

Styles/Influences: Cliff Burton/Metallica fret work, Steve Harris speed gallops, Metal, Black Sabbath blues, funkish, harmonics (7th fret A string + 9th fret D string, type deal... primary reason I dislike current strings for not sounding right), a lil punkish type riffs, and generally just fooling around.

For the Jazz I'm looking for rumbling/deep lows, very clear/growly mid range, and keeps the hi end in check... also goes well with distortion and won't be to tight to mess with the gallop.

For the P I'm looking for juicy/fat mids and lows, very bright high, has allot of pop to it.

So I am thinking DR Low-Riders (J Bass), Nickle Lo-Riders (J Bass), Marcus Millers (P Bass), and besides DR I'm not sure what else to go with or gauge to go with.

Ideas, recommendations, corrections, suggestions?