1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Narrowing my amp selection down before purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chatterbox272, Jun 10, 2012.

1. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I know these threads come up a lot, and I know I make a lot of them. But I'm nearing right in on purchasing my amp now (as in, I'm getting it in the next few weeks) so I really need to make a decision on what I'm going to get (assuming the deal of a lifetime doesn't come up in my classifieds).

Buying new in Australia is not going to get me a good deal, and shipping fees from the US are insane (as well as limits on what can be shipped because of the manufacturer) so I'm buying from Thomann. I've narrowed things down to 3 different amps.

Ashdown Touring 330 115H combo 499.00 €
    Ampeg PF-350 Head & Gallien Krueger MBE212 Cab 298.00 € + 259.00 €
    Hartke LH-500 Head & Gallien Krueger MBE212 Cab 349.00 € + 259.00 €

I was looking at the Ashdown MAG300/210 too but they appear to have stopped selling it, and the 15" combo is over the 30KG shipping limit.

Any opinions on which one to get? I'm playing Rock, Metal, Jazz, and various different things in a school concert band so versatile is a must. Otherwise suggestions under 600 €?

TL;DR Suggestions on a new versatile amp under 600 €?

2. Buy something used in Aussie. You'll get a lot more for your money. Shipping cabs around the world is crazy talk.

3. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    flat 50 € postage under 30kg hasn't got me worried about shipping. The classifieds here in Perth are the worst, never anything good at a decent price. A 140W at 4 ohms, 80W at 8 ohms Hartke head and a 1x15" cab for $550? no thanks, I could get a better deal new at Kosmic. The only decent stuff that I ever see on my classifieds are way out of my price range. But I am watching them, incase a good deal does show up.

4. M_P5

M_P5

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm bumping this thread because i'm very interested on the ashdown combo to...

5. IMO the most reliable, versatile, powerful and portable out of your list would be the LH500 and MBE212. :)

6. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I completely forgot I posted this. After much thinking and getting opinions from people, I was wondering. If I'm a highschool student playing in a concert band (12 flutes, 4 trumpets, 5 clarinets, 1 horn, 1 trombone, 2 tenor saxes, an alto sax, and a drummer), a small jazz band (2 trumpets, 2 alto saxes, a tenor sax, a keyboard, and a drummer), and a metal band with some friends where the amps are a Laney GC-30, Peavey Vypyr 75, Peavey Vypyr 15 (about to upgrade to a 60 - 75W amp) and we don't have a drummer atm but all our past ones have used an electric kit and a 15 - 20W amp. Could I be right with the GK MB200 bundle on Thomann.de? because that's about $370 AU and I'm wondering whether it would be right for now and maybe a small gig if I need it.

I know that 300+W would be more ideal for gigging but my thinking is that if it'll do for small gigs then I'll have myself a decent practice/jam amp, which can pull double duty as a backup should my main rig fail once I get a proper rig. It just seems kinda stupid to me to spend however much on a nice head like the Hartke, then get the cheapest cab I can find to handle it. So if the GK will do for a year or two then I can get a decent, reliable rig and will (hopefully) have a better budget to make sure I don't have to cut corners.

7. For everything but the metal band you're good, keyboard giving you sonic space, keyboard doesn't have any choice in giving you space or the whole thing would be a mess.

2x12 and three 50+w amps could be done but chances are your metal mates will not be accommodating. 2x12 VS 3 guitars would be a struggle I think.

8. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    the MB200 Bundle is just a 1x15. As for them not being accommodating they usually aren't too bad and often listen to me when it comes to sound stuff, especially amps, because they like the sound I'm getting from mixing practice tracks and generally (seem to) believe that I know more about amps and balance than they do as I am in many more bands. Also the 3rd guitar isn't always there, he's also our screamer and only plays guitar for a few songs. And with the guitars all using solid states, they're generally quieter than their tube counterparts yes?

Just looking I noticed the MB200 has no master volume knob, just gain. Does it stay clean? I have an effects unit for distortion so I don't really want it becoming distorted at high levels.

9. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Also, wouldn't the Hartke only be ~3dB louder? I know there are other things at play than just wattage but considering the MB200 is apparently quite loud for a 200W then I can't imagine there'd be such a huge difference to warrant me spending that much more while I'm still at school without any real need for it.
    And although we are a metal band, we practice really quietly, only amp that passes half volume is mine and that's to hear the backing tracks until we get a drummer. I bring my volume down either on the bass or on my volume pedal.

10. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Bump? anyone able to help?

11. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    You would be surprised at how far 200W will get you. I did metal with one for years. I am also blessed to be working with a lead guitarist/vocalist who understands that volume needs to be balanced on stage and the PA needs to do the heavy lifting.

More drivers>more watts. I'd look into 410s as well.

12. Does Aus rail do depot to depot freight? I know you got the buybuys for shiny new stuff but have a good look for freight options inside Aussie before you write off your ebay.

13. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Not a fan of buying used online, I'd like to be able to see it and try it in person if it's used.

410s are huge, I might look at one when I actually start gigging but at the moment that would be way too big to fit in my bedroom :p

14. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY

I have recently tried out a

Mark Bass Jeff Berlin

Ampeg PF 500 with PF115 flip top cab

Ashdown Mag C210T

Just placed a call to have an Ashdown Touring 330 210H ordered.

out of the first 3 I really liked the MAG but it had some electrical issues so I sent it back and the EVO III is on back order. I like the features of the Touring better anyway.

I reached out to a store in England who has full stock of Ashdown to ask an opinion since I dont have any stores in my area stocking the amps I have wanted to check out

" The 330 Touring is in the Dual Tube range which is basically a level above the MAG range. The addition of the valve pre-amp adds a really nice warmth and preciseness to the tone. Don't get me wrong the MAG's are great and excellent value for money, but we'd always recommend a valve preamp if it's affordable to you as for not a huge amount more, the tone quality is significantly better. A good valve pre-amp goes a long way to achieving the tone of an all-valve amp without the expense and weight.

The 330 Touring also has a simpler EQ than the MAG, which in our opinion makes it easier to manage whilst still capable of producing a better tonal range."

15. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    you need to get your priorities straight young man! :bassist:

when I was 15/16 I got my first real amp. A Fender Bottom with 2 15's and a Fender tube head....Probably got rid of a book shelf in my room to house it....books pft

LOL

16. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I wish, I would have to get rid of the cupboard that has my bases hanging on it to have space for that. And I'd have to put the stuff from that where I have my recording gear.

17. Ebay. aus is not same buyer bias as US? Perhaps a fellow tb'er in Melbourne could hook you up.

18. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Okay, let me put it this way. I am not a fan of buying used online unless I can try it first, and my parents are outright not going to let me so eBay is not an option.

19. Short on space I would go the 2x10, stack another 2x10 and you have bass covered indoors until you play a really good sized hall where you'll need PA.

If you can swing mb500 and a 2x10 now, then you can hopefully get the 2nd 2x10 for Christmas and be all set.

Other option is to get the Euro 12" equivalent of 3012lf etc from Thomann and build a dual 12 mid plus tweeter fearful 12126. That's one hell of a cab when driven with enough wattage. Should be cheaper in long run compared to two new cabs as well.

20. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    And then I'm back to the same ballpark price as the LH-500 + cab, and that's just if I get the MB210 combo. And again this brings up my question of why 350W (like the LH-500 at 8 ohms or the MB210) is so much better than 200W when, even though there are other factors at play, it shouldn't be too much more than 3dB louder, definitely not enough to justify nearly double price. And building a cab is even further out, I have no idea how to even start, nor do I have the tools required to build.

I don't mean to sound rude but instead of just saying I need the biggest and loudest amp and cab possible, can you explain why that 3dB is going to be such a big deal?