Naruto fans? Anime fans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marcus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I'm (obviously) a huge Naruto fan, which for the uninformed, is this hip little anime about ninja's and all-round good times (by good times I mean death, depression, helplessness, and friendship) that is really picking up in the states. I started watching the subbed-version long ago and have been hooked since... sadly, I've never been a fan of dubbing of any kind, so I tend to avoid the westernized iteration.

Have any of you guys seen it? If not, ever see any anime in general that you would suggest checking out?

I'm personally on a Naruto, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist trip... so... let's hear it.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my housemate and his GF are rabid naruto fans. that's all they watch. that and samurai champloo.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love most anime. Ghost in the Shell was the one that got me into it. Appleseed is also fantastic. Masamune Shirow has some really great stuff out there. He does a lot of cybernetic type stuff.

I even watched "My Friend, Totoro" full Japanese, no subs and still liked it!
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    have you seen the newly updated one?!?! HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!

and the soundtrack is amazing, too, w/ paul oakenfeld, ryuichi sakamoto, and freakin' basement jaxx.

course, the story line SUCKED. but dang some amazing eye candy.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Robotech. Anime (it was called Japanimation when I was but a lad) was hard to find, and almost never broadcast on TV before that show. It opened doors. Watch it, or you'll be missing out.

+1 on Appleseed. The first Mobile Suit Gundam series, as well as Patlabor. Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash. Dominion Tank Police. And Akira. If you haven't seen Akira yet, run, don't walk, to your nearest rental place and watch it 'til your eyeballs dry up.

Unfortunately, I can't get into most of the Anime on Cartoon Network. I live in the Bay Area and get AZN, though. Plenty of Anime on the Asian network.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

awesome music, Marcus! mad fun.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'm not as much into anime any more as I used to be for the three semesters I took a bunch of Japanese classes, but I highly recommend "Paranoia Agent" and anything else by Satoshi Kon.
    "Haibane Renmei" is really well-done, too, and so is a relatively little-known 13 episode series called "Now and then, here and there".

Google for 'em, I'm feeling too lazy to describe those shows. :p

I also enjoyed FLCL, but not all of it.
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You are?
    Gush, I didn't know. Does it hurt?

Well, after all your naruto avatars, it wasn't hard to figure out :D

My second most-visited forum is an anime forum (TB comes first ;) ), but I'm not yet much of an otaku with only 600-800 episodes and movies seen so far...

I've seen a couple of series and can recommend some, though I'm more into a bit more abstract and dark animes like NGE, Elfen Lied, Serial Experiments Lain, Angel's Egg, etc.
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have the complete Akira series, and I watched a lot of DBZ, but aside from that...
  10. Thank you! Having fun is what's most important to me ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually very particular about the anime I watch... I'm not a big fan of much of the stuff out there, but have been pleased by the style of story telling I've seen in Naruto, Bleach, and Fullmetal. I'll try to check those out some point though
  11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Naruto plays every now and then here, I like to catch it now and then. Other anime that I've liked includes, DB, DBZ, Akira, Evangelion (even though it's pretty depressing), Escaflowne, and Pokémon (kidding, kidding).

I dunno if it counts as anime, but Samurai Jack is pretty sweet.
  12. My girlfriend's brother has some kind of sickness... It's called sitonyourassallday,watchanime,andplay"thelastnights"-drome. He has his entire bedroom walls, lined with Stewie Griffon, Final Fantasy, and all sorts of anime posters... I'm beginning to think he thinks he himself is an anime character... poor kid, he's whiter than a klan meeting. :ninja:

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's why I'm asking for some pointers. ;)
    There are a lot of suggestions on the forum, also some people who have seen hundreds of series - and thousands of episodes...

Watch it again, think a bit more over it and it wont be as bad.
    When I first saw it, I thought the end was very depressing, but later thinking more about it and watching it again, clearing things and details that were a bit blurry or I thought wrong, I felt more like it was positive.
  14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Things like this don't just happen in the anime world... Look at games, for example.

As for thinking he's an anime character... well... as if there weren't people acting like they saw in the movies :p (not to mention, like, Doug from
    But there's more to it. Most often the characters of these series are ordinary people, like you and i. Usually they are clumsy and do silly things; sometimes they are outright 'losers'. But this is what makes these characters live, and make them feel real. A couple of times you see a character and go "Whoa, that's just like me!" and "Heh, i made those same mistakes..." or "There are people like me out there?"
    Also, these characters learn and evolve and grow. But they can also fall, break down, or even die. It's much different from many movies where you have an almighty and invincible hero.
  15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i bought episode 1-120 something when i was in china visiting relatives.

kinda sucks since its chinese subtitles, and japanese sound.

my chinese reading skills are seriously bad, and its embarassing since im chinese :bag:

anyway anime rules, my favourite has to be Cowboy bebop
  16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, that's a very good one. Though it feels a bit episodic sometimes, it's really cool, has a certain "feeling" to it, excellent animation, and has lotsa cool jazz as soundtrack :hyper:
  17. That's actually what I look for in a good anime... some form of attachment to the characters, and their emotions.

There is just so much depth when you actually "feel" for the characters, that it is easy to see why one can get emotional over something as simple as a show.
  18. Well.. You guys make some great points... However, he is 15, and has the mind of a 6 year old, (no mental illness, he's just.. well, the hampster is there, and so is the wheel.. but the hampster just doesn't get it.) all he does is sit there, blank look, hardly blinking, and giving off one of his hearty goof-ball laughs every 10 seconds... No, he's not under the influence. I find it hard to believe that he associates himself (or anyone) with any of the characters, or is emotionally attached to them... I have no idea what is up with him, because he'll deny he likes them, and say he watches them because he's bored (again, I refer to his wall of anime/games.) I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him, or what he does, it's not for me that's for sure, I just kinda think he's a bit of a goof. (again, not for liking what what he likes, I just think he's a goof. I guess, it's one of those "You just have to know (insert name) to really understand where I'm coming from.)

I don't know... I guess I'll have to get used to it, he'll be my brother-in-law one day... lol.

One of the shows I have actually seen and enjoyed, was one called "Trigun." I guess I just find it amusing that a minister/priest carries around a giant cross, bearing enough guns to put Rambo to shame.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's a nice one, too.
    Seems quite amusing and unserious at first and for the first half, but after that, it's becoming clearer that there are some deeper and more serious thoughts and questions in it (the spider-and-butterfly dilemma)
  20. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Anyone likes Cowboy Bebop, Intal D, Getter Robo (Old and New) STONE SUN SHINE!!!!!