1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nasally LB-100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottfromCalgary, Dec 1, 2018.

1. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Just picked up a used LB-100 from L&M. It has an Empress body and weighs in at around 7.5 lbs, which is the main reason I impulsively bought it - well that and I'm on a P Bass kick lately. This is actually the second LB-100 I've owned - the first I gigged steady for about a year before trading off.

Both have/had the same issue for me - they sound great with the band but when soloed I can't handle the mid-range nasal tone. I believe that was the intended design of the pup in order to have it cut through the band mix easily, and it does succeed at that. I should mention that the bass has a relatively new (by my own estimation) set of Chromes on it.

My other P's that I'm using for reference, and that I was hoping to have this one sound more like, include an American Vintage 63 P and a Custom Shop 64 P, both with stock pups, and both are sporting TI flats.

Before I start messing around with pup replacement or another set of TI's, I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom to see what you guys thought.
    • Will swapping the Chromes for TI's tame the nasal tone somewhat?
    • Is this just the nature of the LB-100 pup and I should consider swapping for a Fender 63 pup if I want to get closer to that sound?
    • Is there a magic volume/tone/string/pup height combo that anyone has found to give it a more solid ballsy P sound?
    • Do I just eq it out with my amp settings and deal with it?
    Thanks in advance!

upload_2018-12-1_7-54-37.jpeg

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have much to offer, but if you want a quick/free solution, just swap a set of TIs from one of your Fenders onto your G&L and see what it does to your tone. If it still doesn't stack up to your tonal goals, then I'd be on the classifieds to find a fender pickup (similar to what's in your AV/CS) for sale.

alack and bdgotoh like this.
  3. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Thanks dedpool

After playing around with it some more today I’ve determined that the tone cap is likely the differentiating factor more than anything. It definitely has a different response and leaves the bass more nasally when the tone is turned counter clockwise towards 0. I’m going to replace the stock .022 cap with a .047 and see how that affects things. From what I’ve read that may give me the result I’m after.

It sounds a little funny but I’m hesitant to swap the strings since I’ve just had the other 2 professionally set up and don’t want to risk any changes right away - it’s irrational I know...

EDIT: I later found out that both my Fenders have 0.1 tone caps, since they are vintage reissues.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dedpool1052 likes this.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Not that irrational. I'm pretty picky about my bass setups, and once it's "there", I don't want to risk having it change.
    Regarding the cap, I've read in the past that a smaller cap value, such as the .022 that you have now, allows for more mids to pass through compared to that of a .047 that Fender usually uses.
    It's a cheap enough solution.
    I say go for it.

ScottfromCalgary likes this.
  5. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Just a follow-up to my own thread in case anyone stumbles upon this, clears the cobwebs and gets some use out of it. I replaced the stock .022 cap with a .1 cap and it made a huge difference in the amount of bottom end at the lower end of the tone sweep. The nasally tone is effectively gone, at least to my ears, and I’m extremely happy with my new P bass.

6. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I would have changed pickups but what the hell do I know. Does the bass still stand up with your expectations? I've numerous amount of times, thought about picking up an LB100 and swapping the pickup. Through Youtube video and trying one once in Guitar Ctr., I don't like the tone of the G&L. So that's what I'd do.

7. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Haha since sold it. Not because of the tone per se, but because I got rid of a few P basses to downsize and kept only my favorite (fender American vintage 63)

Youngspanion likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021