Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NASCAR & the Environment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, May 29, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Now first off I don't want this to turn into another giant hamburgers that cut down swathes of rainforests to save captive black parrots and monster trucks thread.

I have a paper to write for Gym class (what happened to the good ole' days where you actualy did gym in gym class?) I have to choose a sport and debate it's effect on the environment. I chose NASCAR. Thing is yeah it's bad cause IIRC they still run on fuel and burn quite a bit and they have to build the race tracks and all. but in the big scheme of things is the impact really significant? I'm not sure which side I feel like taking for the essay. What do you guys (except for NTB, we all know where he stands) think about this issue?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I thought you said you had to chose a "sport". :D

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I don't know about Nascar "an sich" being a big contributor to pollution but it's all those things together. Also I think for instance the Nasa, Esa and Russian space programs are often forgotten, as well as airplanes, blasting tons of pollution directly into the atmosphere...

Why didn't you choose baseball? You could go into that and say its a bad sport for the environment because they chop threes to produce baseballbats :D

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Completely insignificant. I would bet my town of <8,000 produces more pollution. In the grand scheme of things, the effect of one individual or 10,000 individuals on the environment is insignificant.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    interesting eric...and Vorago yeah I guess I could have done baseball and talked about the tree cutting but then I could have just talked about those lumberjack competitions :p. and yeah I don't know if I really consider NASCAR a sport personally but my teacher does so hey!

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I would have chosen beach volleyball. ;)

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Doesn't NASCAR still utilize leaded gasoline? Mmmm leukemia.......

8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    you should have chose skateboarding ;)

9. Yes, NASCAR tracks are meeting grounds for people to drink Bud Lite. Talk about the average fan's bad taste in alcohol. :p

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What the hell? You have to write a report on how a sport affects the environment for gym class?! Do you have to write about Alexander's The Great's military campaign for Algebra class too?

Then again, I always thought that gym was a worthless class to begin with, which only took up a period in the day that could be filled with something someone could actually use in their life after high school. It's also funny that it's a state requirement here to pass gym, but you don't have to pass reading class.

But I don't want to hi-jack this thread......... :ninja:

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

If you're going to drink a cheap beer, at least drink Busch.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I would have to believe the lead content in racing fuel to be minimal.......just enough to keep the valves happy (for those not in the know, lead is used in fuel to lubricate and cool the valves, particularly the exhaust valves).

I would have to believe the effect of NASCAR on the environment would be far less than the millions of lawnmowers that are running at any given moment.

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    electric lawnmowers anyone?

14. Honestly, who uses an electric lawnmower?

15. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    canadians?

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    When electric lawn mowers dont suck, i'll get one.

when hybrid cars have enough power to be fun, i'll get one

17. Ahhh cheap beer, Red Dog, nasty as hell but gets you drunk real fast!

18. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Lawn mowers are particularly bad polluters, most are two cycle engines, and as such are very dirty and inefficient. I've read that a lawn mower produces more pollution than a sedan at highway speeds, sorry I don't have data or references to back it up but I seem to remember reading it.

By the way, I'm Canadian and when I mow the lawn for my Dad I use a push mower. :D

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    PBR dude, PBR. If you are more refined grab a six-pack of Southpaw. I probably couldn't stand-up straight after drinking six of those.

:D

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    There is grass in Canada? Weird.