1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nash Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdizzle, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I played a Nash T Bass today (old style P with a jazz pickup in the bridge) and it sounded fantastic. Do they use a standard pickup, or is it customer choice? There was not much info on the website.

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I think he uses Lindy Fralin pups IIRC.

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    there is a Nash Jazz that has been for sale in a local shop for a few years now.
    they are expensive, but man it's a sweet bass.

i think the earlier ones had Duncans in them.

4. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Lollar is a common choice in the Nash basses

5. The stuff Nash is putting out now pales in comparison to his early stuff. He's got a giant operation now and QC has slipped.

Here's a teardown of a Nash Jazzmaster that showcases the disappointing quality:

Nash Jazzmaster Tear-down

Not to mention the fact that his basses have the bridge positioned too far up the body, the neck pocket is shifted north, the pickguards are the wrong size/shape, etc.

Better off going with Fender Custom Shop, or Road Worn.

6. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
  7. Joe Ricardo

Joe Ricardo

Aug 6, 2012
    check out my youtube blog on allparts basses, parts that Nash uses to build his basses:
    !

8. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Never understood why people shoot themselves in the foot running businesses.

9. I was/am aching for a vintage P for a while now.
    2 years ago I was at Chicago Music Exchange.
    They are a Nash dealer. I did a side by side with some early-mid 60's P's. I thought they felt close. I don't think they nail the relic look that well. And yes, they are expensive.
    I also heard they use bodies and necks from SEVERAL sources.
    3 months later, I decide, since I don't have 5-6k for a 65 P(my birth year), I was going to build my own.
    I called...... A neck maker(won't name names). The guy I spoke to was super helpful. I told him what I wanted. I told him about the Nash I played. Turns out they make a "ton of necks and bodies" for Nash.
    My point, if you want the relic look,its not hard to do yourself. If you want the feel. I built my P for $600. Best P I've ever owned.
    I call it my "Poor Mans Vintage P"

10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    A friend of mine was cool enough to loan me his Nash JB-63 for a few weeks. It played like a dream! That bass had the Lollar Jazz pickups. And I liked the pickups so much that I put a set of them in my Fender Road Worn Jazz.

I'm not sure who makes the neck pickup on the TB instruments.

11. This. It really isn't that hard to build a stellar bass yourself, if you use quality components and know how to put them together properly.

12. Yes sir, that was exactly my point.