SOLD Nash PB-63, 3-Tone Burst, Alder/Rosewood, Lollar pickup, hard case, precision bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FieldingMellish, Jan 29, 2018.

1. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    Price:
    $1600
    Strings:
    Going from high performance race car type basses (Fodera, Warwick, Modulus, etc) to vintage basses is quite a leap. Obviously, I made the leap because I love the tone of the old Fender basses, but most of them play like crap. ...buzzy, dead notes, rusty pots.

This is not a big discovery. Many great luthiers have built fantastic p and j bass copies. Some of them play great and look vintage, but they don’t sound vintage. It seems like they always do something different like add a heavier bridge, a preamp, noiseless pickups, poly finish, or lite tuners. I found that the slightest alteration affects the tone - which is not bad unless you really want a vintage sounding bass.

I would like to plug one less known brand. Matt Brewster , the owner of 30th street guitars, makes great vintage sounding instruments. His brand is called Rust.

This Nash P bass nails it. It sounds like an old P bass. Plays great. Big beefy tone. All the notes are even and clear. You won't be disappointed.

Alder body
    Rosewood board
    3-Tone Burst - nitro finish
    Lollar pickup
    All vintage spec hardware

Attached Files:

denton57 likes this.
  2. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Very nice sir...stylish bass, stylish playing. John

FieldingMellish likes this.
  3. What does Matt Brewster/Rust have to do with this ad? Does he build instruments or sells Nash built instruments?

4. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    I like these when they have only been lightly reliced. Nut width and weight please?

5. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    I guess it doesn't have much to do with an ad. I was just sharing some more information that might be helpful to bass players looking for a cool instrument even if it means they don't buy the bass I'm selling.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  6. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    I think this one is considered a light relic. I don't have the nut measurement, but it's thinner than a Fender 63 AVRI - and much lighter too. Sorry for being so vague. It's lighter than my Moollon and my Muck J.

7. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Not a jazz width?

8. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    Yes, I think it is a j bass nut.

9. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I think the neck width and weight would be really helpful.
    Do you not have access to the bass?

10. Thanks for clarification; I re read the post a couple of times and thought I missed something, like perhaps Brewster had built this bass like a Nash or something. I’ve since checked out 30th St. Guitar’s site and their work looks cool too.

FieldingMellish likes this.
  11. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    I'll measure/weigh tomorrow. I have it.

12. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    Matt built 2 basses for me out of USAG parts and Lollar pickups. Very good basses! I stained and oiled them. - ...but, I think the nitro finish helps the tone.

13. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    thanks John!

14. Are you the fellow that posted those amazing YouTube improvs on a G&L 1000 with the footage of New York street scenes perchance? If so, just wanted to say that those are without a doubt some of the most pleasing and badass bass bits I’ve run across online. Really fantastic and musical. Digging this Nash too, wish I had the scratch.

15. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    aw, thanks man. I enjoyed making those videos.

punchdrunk likes this.
  16. FieldingMellish

Jul 9, 2006
    Austin TX
    Sadly, I 'm not sure what to look for, so I upload some photos of the nut for you. The thinner nut is the Nash. The thicker one is another P bass.

And I have not made it to a post office to weigh the bass, but out of the 4 basses I currently own, the Nash is the lightest.

Attached Files:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021