1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nash PB50 Vs. Fender 57 RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air_leech, Aug 19, 2007.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I really like these two basses, unfortunatly neither of these can be played in my area. so if anyone owns or played them and can give a general comparison of the two (tone, playability, quality) I'd be very intrested to read it.

thanks.

2. Padams4

Padams4

Mar 13, 2006
    I have both and really like both of them. The Nash is definitely the better feeling bass and the first one that I usually pick up. They are close in sound with the 57 maybe just a bit more focused (not necessarily better though). I used the 57 on my bands last recording but will go with the Nash moving forward.

I know some folks on the board are not down with the relic thing but beyond that look of the bass these people do not know how the feel and they really do feel and sound great. I have a Nash J as well and will buy more.

Bottom line all things equal I would go Nash but you can't go wrong with the 57 either (especially since I got mine on Ebay for under 800). Hope this helps.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks PAdams!

any chance you could come up with pictures and sound clips?
    I'm seriously thinking of selling some gear and getting one of these.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I own a 57 RI.
    Very good bass.
    Has new feel, and look.
    Sounds like new fender.

Just got a Nash 57.
    Old look, feel, mojo.
    But the surprise,was the tone.
    It just, sounded better than the fender?
    Punchy, tight, a little brighter.

It may have been the Ash bosy on the Nash.
    Fender is Alder.

I like the Nash so much.
    I sold the Fender.

5. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am very happy with my Nash. I had a '59 Custom Shop P that I sold. It had a very nice neck but it felt like a new bass. If you are into the relic thing, go Nash. Also, the Lollar P pu's sound great.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Alabas,
    the one I'm looking at has a Dimarzio pickup.
    if I get it I'll either put a Fender 57 RI pickup or a Kent Armstrong. how does the Lollar compare to these?

also, I'm kind of torn between the Rosewood on Alder PB60 and the Maple on Ash PB50. any idea what the tonal difference would be?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tonal differences between the woods? Unplugged, tons. Rosewood and alder are darker sounding than maple and ash. Plugged in, these differences vanish to the point where it makes no difference whatsoever. People put too much stock in the type of wood having anything to do with sound.

8. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I respectfully disagree. I have two Sadowsky's J's that are different wood combos. They sound different direct and through the amp. I definitely get more sizzle out of the Ash/maple. Also, my Alder body is chambered. The Sadowsky preamp has been accused of coloring the sound to the point of only hearing the pre, but I've found that it actually distinguishes the wood differences. Higher quality PU's and electronics are able to bring out the woods more IMO.

9. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I played a maple necked Lollar loaded Nash P bass at a guitar show. I can only compare it to the '59 Custom shop that I owned. (ash/rosewood) Both basses were strung with Rounds. The Nash was punchier, but the CS had a little more Thump and sounded less alive. They also had a '63-'64 Jazz relic at that show which was out of this world. I believe it had fralins. I can not comment on the 57 or Kent Armstrong because I have no experience with those PU's.

10. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    However, while I claim that woods make a difference, PU's and electronics have a larger impact on the overall sound, I just don't believe that the differences "vanish."

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, at the very least, I think these differences in woods are so very subtle that it's negligible or easily cured with EQ.